Wrasse for 34g pest control

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've come to the conclusion that I would like a wrasse for my tank for some prophylactic pest control. It's a 34g red sea tank with a pair of clowns, watchman, firefish, cave goby, and springeri damsel. I don't really want to go 6 line since they can be bullies, and a yellow corris gets a little big for the tank. I've heard a pink streaked wrasse may be a good option. I've also thought about a possum wrasse, but have heard the pink streaked may be better for pest control. Thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although I never had one, I’d say the pink steak from the options and it seems you’re leaning towards it too, lol. Heard and read good things.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've come to the conclusion that I would like a wrasse for my tank for some prophylactic pest control. It's a 34g red sea tank with a pair of clowns, watchman, firefish, cave goby, and springeri damsel. I don't really want to go 6 line since they can be bullies, and a yellow corris gets a little big for the tank. I've heard a pink streaked wrasse may be a good option. I've also thought about a possum wrasse, but have heard the pink streaked may be better for pest control. Thoughts/suggestions/ideas?
Pink streaks are closely related to six lines (sister genus) but not aggressive so would probably be your best bet if you can find one.

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpeg
    IMG_4168.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaks are closely related to six lines (sister genus) but not aggressive so would probably be your best bet if you can find one.
I think finding one is going to be the hard part, I keep hoping one will pop up but haven't come across one locally. Fortunately I have a few good lfs within driving distance who would probably special order me one if they can get it from their suppliers.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaked wrasses are cool options, but harder to find in my experience. I couldn't find one and I wanted pest control in my 40g, so I got a sixline wrasse. I've had him for probably around 2 years or so and he's been well behaved. Of course you could get one that's very aggressive, but I'd just it return to your LFS if you get a mean one. I really like mine. It swims so effortlessly and has really interesting coloration and patterns. Fun to watch too. You can regularly find him looking for pests or pods to pick off the rocks.

OP
OP
R

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaked wrasses are cool options, but harder to find in my experience. I couldn't find one and I wanted pest control in my 40g, so I got a sixline wrasse. I've had him for probably around 2 years or so and he's been well behaved. Of course you could get one that's very aggressive, but I'd just it return to your LFS if you get a mean one. I really like mine. It swims so effortlessly and has really interesting coloration and patterns. Fun to watch too. You can regularly find him looking for pests or pods to pick off the rocks.
Ime the 6 lines are more hit or miss. The, issue is, it will be nearly impossible to remove from the tank without disassembling all of the rockwork unless I can trap it. One reason why I'm careful about quarantine all new additions to the tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possum wrasses are good for a display animal once settled however Pink Streaks are good for display and also keeping certain pests down - albeit they seem to go mostly for smaller species of nudibranch/flatworms and some bristleworms. Anything large (I.e. most larger Feather Duster Worms) tends to be let off, these guys also don’t go for CUC as much as other wrasses tend to do - My Snails and such are left alone quite happily. Here’s two inverts I can have in my nano but maybe couldn’t have in my 4’ tank with my larger wrasses (The clam may be able to go in there if it’s large enough to be ignored but the feather duster couldn’t)
IMG_7618.jpeg

image.jpg

And of course, photos of my pinkies. My pair are a breeding pair and are just over 1 year with me, these fish can have short lifespans but if you get them small enough then you can have them for a good few years. I had a photo of my current male but lost that photo so to show the colours of males, I’ve used my 2 year old specimen (He unfortunately passed in May/April last year).

1697690798281.jpeg IMG_0182.jpeg

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime the 6 lines are more hit or miss. The, issue is, it will be nearly impossible to remove from the tank without disassembling all of the rockwork unless I can trap it. One reason why I'm careful about quarantine all new additions to the tank.
I'm with you on the QT.

True, it could be difficult to catch him. They are very fast. However, I've accidentally caught mine with a net twice when trying to catch another fish in the tank. He picks at nori on the clip whenever I put it in the tank, which makes it easy to get him to a spot where I could net him. Maybe mine is just a weirdo.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the Possum wrasse. I have one in my IM 25 Lagoon. I had some flat worms when I got him and he eliminated them in no time. Very friendly, peaceful fish and won't outgrow the small tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back