OP
OP
nine8taco

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green or brown algae is a different algae from coralline it will never turn purple like you're looking for. You can scrape that and anything else that isn't purple as you see fit. The best way to get coralline started is to get a rock that has some on it already and use a knife or another rock to scrape the coralline off and let it move around in the water column as little specks. Do this when your powerheada are on but your return pump is off. Biggest thing for coralline though is stable water parameters as it is a calcium based growth.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but any updates? I just picked up a deep blue 35g for practically free and I wanted to know how you converted the corner overflow to the glass holes?

OP
OP
nine8taco

nine8taco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but any updates? I just picked up a deep blue 35g for practically free and I wanted to know how you converted the corner overflow to the glass holes?

Unfortunately the only updates are that the tank is totally broken down and everything is for sale. As far as the conversion of the overflows; just use a razor blade to cut the silicone on the corner overflow and remove it (be careful not to cut the structural silicone in the bottom corners!!) the old overflow and return holes in the bottom, i just plugged them with bulkheads and plugged the bulkheads with appropriately sized PVC caps (I couldnt find bulkhead blanks locally). The glassholes overflow I got from glass-holes.com I got the 700 gph 1.5" kit. (comes with everything youll need including a drill bit) and then I ran dual returns that came over the back of the tank as PVC 90 elbows and then went to loc line with fan nozzles (eventually capped one return and converted it to one return based on water movement. LMK if you have more questions, happy to help!

Rabidc0d3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the finished product, now the long wait for all this dead rock to get populated with bacteria and actually cycle (the rock has been in water to give it time to leech phosphates since september and i added a piece of live rock to the sump a week ago once the tank got set up)

Old thread so hopefully you’re still active. How is this setup going? Just filled mine with water and the thought JUST hit me……. Isn’t the glass weaker now with a hole in it??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back