350 Gallon Mixed Reef Ideas

FarmerMaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently lucked into a pretty great set-up with a 350-gallon tank. My wife and I used to have a 210 and two 125s set up, and after we moved decided to look for upgrades. We love having mixed reef tanks, every FOWLR I planned ended up with coral anyways, so I am trying to plan and do things right. For the equipment, we have much fancier things than we've ever worked with before so I am going to have my LFS help set up the equipment, but for stocking the tank we are trying to come up with ideas on species we might have overlooked in the past because this is the largest tank either of us has ever really thought about. Currently, we know we want to stock the following:

-Pair of Ocelaris Clowns
-Either fairy wrasse or six-line
-Snow flake eel (open to suggestions on others, we decided against garden eels because of the bed depth)
-Small school of Blue reef chromies
-Lyretail Anthias or Barlett's
-a few different Zebrasoma tang species,
-two barred rabbitfish
-Diamond Goby
-Mandarin (once we have a heart copepod colony established)
-Signal Blenny

Corals:
Acans, Blastos, Zoa garden, Mushrooms, Hammers, Torches, Plating corals

Inverts:
Mixed clean-up crew.
RBAs
Tridacna

If you can think of other species we should look into please let me know. I plan to document our tank journey.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always feel these threads are hard to respond to because livestock is so personal.

In my current tank I have 7 tangs. I love tangs but I have realized over time that one reason I love this hobby is the amazing variety in the ocean. If I ever upgrade I would add a zebra eel, Genicanthus Angels, deep water butterrflies, and some kind of Xanthichthys Trigger.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always feel these threads are hard to respond to because livestock is so personal.

I completely agree (not that you asked :) ).

Which is why I was going to keep it simple. OP have you considered nixing the 'mixed reef' and instead pick a specific biotype such as soft, LPS, or SPS? In my experience mixed reefs always end up like the junk drawers in our kitchen.

Mixed reefs are great and all but it only takes the addition of one coral to cause issues. Something basic like a BTA or Xenia or Palyathoa, or Leather. Toxins, spreading, before you know it no rock real-estate for new additions.

OP
OP
FarmerMaz

FarmerMaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my current tank I have 7 tangs. I love tangs but I have realized over time that one reason I love this hobby is the amazing variety in the ocean. If I ever upgrade I would add a zebra eel, Genicanthus Angels, deep water butterrflies, and some kind of Xanthichthys Trigger.
We had like 5 tangs in our 210 and we loved them. But this is extremely helpful, I had never heard of a Genicanthus Angel, they look amazing. Which species of butterflies were you looking at, the tinkers? And we have had the blue throat triggers and they were awesome. I think the main thing we want is ideas on different species we never thought of. What would lead you to a Zebra eel over a snowflake?

OP
OP
FarmerMaz

FarmerMaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree (not that you asked :) ).

Which is why I was going to keep it simple. OP have you considered nixing the 'mixed reef' and instead pick a specific biotype such as soft, LPS, or SPS? In my experience mixed reefs always end up like the junk drawers in our kitchen.

Mixed reefs are great and all but it only takes the addition of one coral to cause issues. Something basic like a BTA or Xenia or Palyathoa, or Leather. Toxins, spreading, before you know it no rock real-estate for new additions.
I had looked at being more specific with a particular biotype, but the thing that makes my wife the happiest about the hobby is the wide coral variety, which is why I work hard to make like Zoa garden islands in the sand and "contain" what I can. But I have found that it's much more enjoyable having a tank we both love different aspects of. It can be hard to make it look succinct but that's also part of the fun. And if it makes it easier to buy things because we have "derpy" fish and pretty corals its a plus all around.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a snowflake in my small tank now so the zebra is more of a both are cool thought. From my time at the LFS I can say that Zebras are more docile than Snowflakes IMO and there is something really cool about a 4 foot eel that you can keep with tangs wrasses and butterflies. Genicanthus is a genus of angelfish that is reef safe. There are lots of cool species to choose from. My favorite that is not stupid rare and expensive is the Wantanabei Angel. I love the sexual dimorphism so I would love to have a mated pair.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what size is your tank?

Janelle.chew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently lucked into a pretty great set-up with a 350-gallon tank. My wife and I used to have a 210 and two 125s set up, and after we moved decided to look for upgrades. We love having mixed reef tanks, every FOWLR I planned ended up with coral anyways, so I am trying to plan and do things right. For the equipment, we have much fancier things than we've ever worked with before so I am going to have my LFS help set up the equipment, but for stocking the tank we are trying to come up with ideas on species we might have overlooked in the past because this is the largest tank either of us has ever really thought about. Currently, we know we want to stock the following:

-Pair of Ocelaris Clowns
-Snow flake eel (open to suggestions on others, we decided against garden eels because of the bed depth)
-two barred rabbitfish
-Diamond Goby
-Signal Blenny

Corals:

Inverts:
Mixed clean-up crew.
RBAs
Tridacna

If you can think of other species we should look into please let me know. I plan to document our tank journey.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

-Pair of Ocelaris Clowns
-two barred rabbitfish
-Diamond Goby
-Signal Blenny

Corals:

Inverts:
Mixed clean-up crew.
RBAs
Tridacna

Having 21 tangs, A few, even trio are a must for both algae and beauty (gem, tomini, kole)
Marine betta
Flame or coral beauty angel

OP
OP
FarmerMaz

FarmerMaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by LFS that snow flake eel was off the table. It would eat everything???
My understanding of pebble tooth eels is that they are generally fish safe if you raise them on a dead meal diet, and if you start with them small and grow them with the fish generally they will be okay. I think with everything in this hobby a slow start is the best way to ensure a happy ending. After the comments here and talking with my LFS as well everyone seems to agree that Zebra's are more peaceful so that is where we are going to pivot.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Pair of Ocelaris Clowns
-two barred rabbitfish
-Diamond Goby
-Signal Blenny

Corals:

Inverts:
Mixed clean-up crew.
RBAs
Tridacna

My number one species of fish I will have in any large enough tank size are;
Tilefish from the Hoplolatilus genus!
These guys are so fun to watch and add a lot of colour. The only issue is you need a lid for them as they will escape like no tomorrow if a small gap is there (I’ve found feeding time is when they leap out).
My personal favourites from this genus are;
- Hoplolatilus starcki
- Hoplolatilus marcosi
- Hoplolatilus luteus
- Hololatilus purpureus
- Hoplolatilus chulpatyi

I have only personally owned one of these guys however I have cared for all of them!
Here’s a few photos of them - Not all are mine.
Hoplolatilus chlupatyi (Flashing). This is my previous specimen however I did pick up another yesterday :)
BAAC726D-5EC1-4E06-AEB6-949BAC98A396.jpeg

Hoplolatilus marcosi
4E48C7D4-5B22-496E-906B-8BD62082F18F.jpeg

Hoplolatilus purpureus
852B5037-55F7-4CF8-B5AB-805F3B6EF08C.jpeg

Hoplolatilus luteus
DADF6737-ABDD-4742-A421-B34588B34F6D.jpeg

Hoplolatilus starcki (This is my photo as well - I unfortunately haven’t personally owned them but these are the easiest to keep along with Luteus and Purpureus).
24E1620B-95F5-4C0E-9427-8C0551CA9ED4.jpeg

I personally find Tilefish and Wrasses to be better looking than tangs are, the only issue is that most eels will hunt down fish like Wrasses and other fish you want so you may have to cross that off the list. I know the Chromis are at risk of food, Wrasses are, and the blenny will be - If you add a tilefish or two, they will also be at risk.

The other thing I’d do is, instead of getting just one wrasse, ditch the sixline and get many wrasses!! There are 1000s of them out there, hop over to the Wrasse Lovers Thread and look at some of our wrasses over there ;)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had like 5 tangs in our 210 and we loved them. But this is extremely helpful, I had never heard of a Genicanthus Angel, they look amazing. Which species of butterflies were you looking at, the tinkers? And we have had the blue throat triggers and they were awesome. I think the main thing we want is ideas on different species we never thought of. What would lead you to a Zebra eel over a snowflake?
Genicanthus angels are a must have! I loved mine and that started my journey into RSWC angels that are slightly larger than the Dwarfs - I now have a Regal thanks to this girl.
This was my believed to be Hybrid (Although I don’t know what she was a hybrid of other than melanospilos).
1CA706DE-3CB6-444B-925B-C5730A0C0401.jpeg

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Pair of Ocelaris Clowns
-two barred rabbitfish
-Diamond Goby
-Signal Blenny

Corals:

Inverts:
Mixed clean-up crew.
RBAs
Tridacna

(everybody has their own taste) but here’s some stuff i would consider given a tank of that volume

red spot cardinal (pretty cool when you have a school of them)
i would seed the tank with as many mysis/and other micro inverts as possible for this finicky eaters (and they’re fun to watch run around)

in such a big tank i would probably opt for a “designer pair” not really just some funky colored clowns or longfin ones

NPS corals (given you have good flow)

pederson cleaner shrimp (i love their personality more than skunk cleaners)

and any other fish/invert that has a little job amongst the reef like how cleaner shrimps have little cleaning stations etc.

or just stuff that looks really cool

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back