380nm led missing - thoughts? Atlantik iCon vs V4

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on? You are linking a video from a retailer? Is a manufacturer going to be next? Those dudes main goal is to sell stuff and sometimes they have some useful things. I know that you like to link a lot of stuff, but this is beneath you... at least the science stuff is is not people whose goal is to sell stuff that they sell.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on? You are linking a video from a retailer? Is a manufacturer going to be next? Those dudes main goal is to sell stuff and sometimes they have some useful things. I know that you like to link a lot of stuff, but this is beneath you... at least the science stuff is is not people whose goal is to sell stuff that they sell.
So you believe they will cripple your tank for $'s?

As far as that goes it appears some accept Tuillo (led as accent lighting), who sells mh bulbs and Hamilton (same) as "authorities..

Just because it is followup.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I say cripple? They do produce things that have hurt tanks. Their stance on dry rock was awful and hurt a lot of people. Some of their videos on chemicals are bad too. Including products that they sell and leaving out better alternatives in the hobby is long documented. I have no venom for them - they never have said that they are out there in the name of science. They are trying to sell products that they sell. Taken with a grain of salt, their stuff can be OK at times, but make no mistake about it... they are infomericals.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I say cripple? They do produce things that have hurt tanks. Their stance on dry rock was awful and hurt a lot of people. Some of their videos on chemicals are bad too. Including products that they sell and leaving out better alternatives in the hobby is long documented. I have no venom for them - they never have said that they are out there in the name of science. They are trying to sell products that they sell. Taken with a grain of salt, their stuff can be OK at times, but make no mistake about it... they are infomericals.
Well neither then is Tuillo or Hamilton.
I understand your point and do take it all w/ a grain of salt.

BTW: See about 13:50 in the above vid..

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may "downplay" MH's but certainly not t5's..

Orphek

Orphek- Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the new iCon for a build, I see the 380 nm LEDs are missing compared to the V4.
By comparing the spectrum of the ReefLED, Photo and V4, the 380nm was what attracted me in the V4 light - it was the only one with LEDs below 410-420 nm.
I have 2 ReefLeds on my current tank, they work great! The thing is that I bought a UV light from Amazon, 380nm, really makes the corals pop!!!

What's your experience? The pop at 380 nm seems amazing! I looked at a chart with coral pigments and emissivity, and it seems there are quite a few that emit visual wavelengths when excited by UV light in the 380nm range.
Thoughts?
https://orphek.com/product-review-orphek-atlantik-icon-reef-aquarium-led-lighting-by-dana-riddle/
Emissions are almost entirely in the green-blue, blue-green portions of the spectrum, with an outlier at 593 (orange): Acropora nobilis (384/486), Condylactis gigantea(394/496), Acropora millepora (405/490), Heteractis crispa (405/500), Acropora millepora (405/504), Acropora millepora(405/593)
6C08E526-6C78-43AD-A95D-FB2D90950D39.jpeg

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, saw the review the other day, spectrum looks really nicely spread even on the lower end.

OP
OP
S

servus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my second iCon. First came Friday. They are heavier than expected, waiting for the new tank to put them on! Really excited!!!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back