3D printing compoments to make some money? Anyone tried it?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first I'm sorry for this noob question, but I was wondering for a while whether anyone has tried this before. I have some experience in CAD and Solidworks that can be applied in the hobby (designing frag plugs, coral racks, etc...) But I don't know if I can make money out of that, providing that I have a 3d printer and materials on hands. I don't expect to get rich but some $ to sustain the hobby would be great. Any thoughts?

TheReaperOfMars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The race to the bottom has already begun with 3d printing. It is soo cheap and accessible that everyone and their mother is cranking out cheap frag racks and frag plugs. If you want to make more than a couple dollars here and there you’ll need to think outside the box and make things that other people aren’t.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It takes lots of experience, prototyping, and building a catalog of products that you would need to design.

If you want to get into it, I would suggest you specialize on one thing, perfect it, get feedback, and go from there…

We started out with light mounting for rail mounts. Working with a coral farmers helps immensely, and will put you on the path of understanding what to focus on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back