3G Desktop Pico Reef

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting a pico! Been wanting a tiny reef on my desk for a while.

Tank's a 2.5g Dennerle with an AquaClear 20 for flow & filtration and an Amtra Vega Reef 7.2W light.
Heater's an Aquael 25W, though I wouldn't mind going even smaller (and more subtle) with a Fluval P10 or similar...

20230901_180630.jpg

Used mostly dry rock with a few small rocks taken from my main display. No sand in this one, we'll see how that goes.
Plan for livestock is various soft corals, some mushrooms, and zoas. Lot's of zoas. ;-)

I might also add a pair of hand-raised sexy shrimp. Though they've got some growing to do still.

IMG_3546.JPG

OP
OP
Arkardios

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the first corals pretty much instantly, since I was impatient to get things going lol. Just pulled some frags from the main reef and popped 'em in.

The rest (for now ) arrived today!
Fire & ice, gorilla nip + free mystery zoa, more GSP (since the one I already had is a drama queen), and some sarcothelia edmonsoni.

IMG_3658.JPG

An interesting hitchhiker was a tiny tubeless feather duster. Never seen one naked before!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the first corals pretty much instantly, since I was impatient to get things going lol. Just pulled some frags from the main reef and popped 'em in.

The rest (for now ) arrived today!
Fire & ice, gorilla nip + free mystery zoa, more GSP (since the one I already had is a drama queen), and some sarcothelia edmonsoni.

IMG_3658.JPG

An interesting hitchhiker was a tiny tubeless feather duster. Never seen one naked before!
Glad to see you got coral in there!

OP
OP
Arkardios

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going good. There's a good bit of algae on the rocks & glass and the snails are busy munching all day long.

20230912_112744.jpg

Evaporation is a real annoyance right now. I have to top off twice a day atm, which I do manually with a squeeze bottle. Don't know if I'll splurge on an ATO just yet.

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it looking so far?

Nice looking shrimp. Do you have to feed them, or do they just clean the glass and egg crates all day?

OP
OP
Arkardios

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's doing very well. I did add a pair of young sexy shrimp and two rhodactis. There's already some really good growth from the GSP.

The sexy shrimp are bothering the zoas a bit, but nothing drastic just yet. Fingers crossed ;)
They get pellets every few days.

Lights are out for me already, I'll post a pic tomorrow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Arkardios

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while. I decided to 'upgrade' to a 3 gal vertical tank, and while I was at it I also removed the two sexy shrimp. They were just bothering the zoas too much. Maybe I'll add 'em again when the zoas have spread and established a bit more, but... I don't know. We'll see. :)

20231115_110202.jpg

OP
OP
Arkardios

Arkardios

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my very first LPS coral a couple weeks back. Wasn't sure at first whether they sent me a euphyllia or galaxea, but now that it's grown a bit I believe it's a galaxea.
Second ever LPS arrived today, a duncan. Been wanting one of those for a while. :)
Things are just going really well with this tank.

IMG_4130.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back