3rd SW Tank~1st from Scratch build~

sarahbeth23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I’ve been following R2R in the background for some time now, and consistently find myself referring back to information I’ve seen and read about others posting and wanted to say thank you!

About 3 years ago a friend had given me fully cycled (with inhabitants included) Fluval 13.5 that was in need of some major TLC. With knowing nothing about saltwater aquariums, besides the intense upkeep and cost factors, I was very intimidated of picking up this new hobby. I typically catch myself hyper focused on one specific hobby for a few months then move on to the next. However my hard headedness and determination continued as I gathered knowledge from LFS’ and other local resources. I now have the fluval 13.5 and a pico 1gal. thriving along with finally started my first tank thread from scratch.

55 GALLON

Originally I found a brand new 55 gallon tank on FB marketplace for FREE and had big plans for it to become my new reef build, however for Christmas I was gifted another new 55 gallon, stand, Fluval 307 canister, heaters, circulation pumps and live sand.
Having an art background, paired with months of scrolling the internet, I began my 1st aquascaping journey with Dry Rock. For someone with ADHD, and a very short temper, I spent many nights busting formations that I had spent many evening putting together. When I say this process was trying on my patience… WHEW! I thought by using JB Marine Weld, JB Water weld epoxy, Fluval epoxy, and Gorilla-Super Glue gel that I would be able to save some money on supplies. I was constantly running out of glue, battling the frustration of the different pieces not laying exactly how I envisioned or getting glue all over myself and the basement instead of intended rocks.

As of March 6th, my very first aquascaping formations were rinsed & placed in the tank and as of March 10th, she’s officially cycling!!!

21FFB198-FB72-4288-A683-156E1FF06262.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7397.MOV
    6.9 MB
Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back