3rd time's a charm; this unwanted 34 gallon frag tanks journey and final stop

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The journey of this frag tank begins in February of 2018 when my friend was looking to trade out his redsea reefer 170 for something less cube like but he still wanted to be in the 30 to 50 gallon range. His other requirement was that it couldn't be a tall tank as he is vertically challenged and he wanted to be able to look down from above into the tank. He did some research and found this tank, a deep blue 34 gallon rimless frag tank, that fit his needs. He wanted a custom built stand that was only 28 inches tall so he could look into it from above easier too. I'm good at building things so I told him I'd build him a stand if he covered the cost of the wood and fragged me off a purple monster zoe. He agreed so the tank was bought and the stand was built and my coral was fragged.
The first of many self inflicted problems started shortly after he set it up. This particular tank came with a durso drain which I knew from experience was going to be hard to silence. I warned him about it but he insisted it would be ok. It was not. I told him what he needed to fix it, a gate valve, an emergency overflow, and plumbing up the back and over the tank since the tank only had 2 holes, a drain and a return, and the bottom is tempered. It was full of water and I had never drilled a tank before this so that was my fix, use the original drain with a gate, the return hole as the emergency overflow and run new plumbing up the back for the return line. I told him I'd fix it for him if he got the stuff. I drove the 45 minutes to his apartment to find he got a ball valve and nothing else. I warned him again before installing the ball valve that the tank was not going to be stable and it would either overflow the display or the sump. He said it needed to be fixed today so I had to use what I was provided. The tank was ok when I left but I knew it wouldn't last, tanks with a single drain never do.
The next week I was at his apartment again with a gate valve, emergency overflow and plumbing to run it up the back. 3 hours later, a few beers and lunch and he still hated it. The white pvc pipe coming up over the back of the tank was ugly. I told him to order black pvc and I'd come back over again and redo the plumbing, this would have to do for now.
A few days later I got a call from our other friend saying he ditched the tank and bought a new one. When I say ditched, I mean he took the tank, stand, sump and everything that went with it and threw it in the trash! I drove 45 minutes again to his apartment and recovered the tank, sump and return pump. The stand was in pieces in the trashcan, there was no saving that.
This was the first time I inherited the tank. Another one of my friends was interested in saltwater tanks as he had seen mine several times and wanted one. I told him I had a spare tank laying around, he just needed a stand, rocks, sand, and a few other things for a basic setup. He asked me to build him a normal sized stand (we both know the guy who threw the tank away, lol) and he'd pay me for it. He didn't want to grow coral, he wanted just fish. I told him I had an old light he could have.
20180203_155042.jpg

About 2 weeks after I completed the stand he found out he was having another kid so the tank was out, he couldn't afford it anymore. I told him it was cool I'd just sell it myself. What a mistake that was. It was my first time trying to sell something online and all I got were scam texts and calls. I put up with that for about 2 weeks before I was done dealing with it. I deleted the post and left the tank covered in my garage.
My in-laws decided they were moving back to town to be closer to the grandkids. They also liked my tank and wished they could have one of their own. They were in luck as I just happened to have a tank sitting in my garage. I told them they needed a better light since they wanted to grow softies and probably a skimmer and the sand and rocks. They asked me to get what they needed and I could add it to the final bill. I bought the stuff, stained the stand and set it up at their house.
20180906_114936.jpg

This was it all set up and ready to go.
Everyone knows it takes some effort and diligence to keep a reef tank. They did not understand that going in and I spent more time over there fixing issues then I did enjoying my own tanks at home. Between the hair algae, cyano, skimmer issues, the fish carpet surfing, the corals not growing, adjusting the lights back to what I had them at, it became a full time job.
Then it happened. I got 2 different stories on what crashed the tank but it crashed. My father in law used the water change bucket to wash the car and didn't rinse it out before it was used to do a water change or my mother inlaw had lotion or something on her hands then stuck them into the tank. It might have been both for all I know but the tank crashed. They finally threw in the towel and realized saltwater wasn't as easy as freshwater.
That was the second time I got the tank back. I cleaned everything up and set it in the garage again. My friend, the original owner of the tank, heard what happened and was interested in the tank again. By this time he had been through 3 more tanks trying to find perfection. Don't ask me what he was looking for but he couldn't find it. He tried the fusion 40, the SR60 and a custom built 24x30x10 tank. I told him he could have it again with the stipulation that if he was to change his mind again I get it back I one piece, not from the trashcan. I took it to his house this time and set it all up for him. A month later I get a call that it isn't quite what he was looking for so he was moving on again.
I have the tank again for the third and final time. This poor tank has been around the block 3 times, 4 if you count the guy who wanted it but wasn't allowed. I decided it's going to be my frag/incoming coral tank. I already have a custom modified 20 gallon frag tank that I've out grown so this couldn't have come at a better time. I've got to clean it up, make some modifications to the cabinet, and make enough water to fill it but I'm going to give it a good home and let it do the job it was meant to do.
I did some work on it today adding a shelf for the plugs and my dosing pump to sit on. I also modified the aquatic life t5 led hybrid light that I had over my old tank. It was 18 inches wide but I wanted it more compact so it didn't stick out as far. I made new brackets from some aluminum bar stock so the lights are an inch apart now. There is just enough room to run an aluminum bracket down the center to put my reef bright LED in there.
20190804_174642.jpg

That's them over my current 20 gallon frag tank. I plan to make the move Thursday since I have a few days off. If everything goes smoothly I'm guessing 3 hours to break one down and set the other up. Then I'll spend an hour getting powerheads in the right places. I'll post more. Thanks for reading.

OP
OP
Firemanreefkeeper

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a story. You're a kind, patient person for putting up with all that! Following :)
Thanks. I'm not sure if in patient or dumb for continuing to help. I do reap the benefits once he decides it isn't for him though. I've got a lawnmower, a couple of fishing poles, and that custom built frag tank that he had that he didn't want. I guess I'll keep on helping as long as the getting is good.

OP
OP
Firemanreefkeeper

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190808_134206.jpg

I worked late into the night last night and put that custom wood shelf in so I could put all my timers up so I could get to them. I'm not used to a 3 foot stand, my main display is a 4 foot tank with a 6 foot stand so I have plenty of room to fit things in. This one is tight on space. I have another power strip under the shelf squeezed in between the ATO tank and the stand wall where the non timer things are plugged in. I also doglegged the shelf out and zip tied my doser so I wouldn't accidentally knock it into the water. I left just enough room to take the lid off for refills.
20190808_134215.jpg

I added a simple carbon reactor for now. There is enough room for a skimmer but I'm skipping it for the time being. My experience with bare bottom so far has been no nutrients so no need to skim anything. My previous frag tank was 20 gallons and it was 0 nitrates and 4ppb phosphates on average. I have the same livestalk just double the space now.
20190808_134238.jpg

I broke down the old tank and set this one up in just under 2 hours which I consider lightning speed. I spent more time on flow then anything else. I feel I've gotten it set the way I like it. The right side powerhead is the IM 1500gph running full power on a short burst for an hour then off. The left side is the IM 2200ghp on the bottom running at 7 of 9 power on a long burst for an hour while the right side is off. Left and right swap on and off every hour so the flow comes from opposite ends. There's one more powerhead on the back wall at the bottom that's always on a 5 speed, long burst, pushing forwards to break up the 2 on the sides and make it more random.
There's a lot of flow in there. The hermits get rolled from one end to the other if they dare venture off one of the two rock piles. The frag racks were also getting pushed around so I used some old suction cups from one of my unused pumps and stuck it to the bottom glass then set the pvc legs over them. So far they've stayed put. The 6line is also learning the new flow as he darts from one pile of rocks, weaves his way around the racks, then slips into the other pile. I think he's liking the extra swimming room.
20190808_134259.jpg

That's her in all her glory. I've got to button up a few cords here and there and mount my small fan to the wall to keep the T5 lights cool but I think I'm good for now. I'm still surprised that the swap out took so little time. I was banking on 6 hours since I'm slow and steady and meticulous in the way I normally work. I do have to figure out how much alk the tank is going to use each day and adjust the doser. I had it down on the other tank. Thanks for reading. I do enjoy comments and suggestions so if I've missed anything or you have some ideas, tell me what you think.

OP
OP
Firemanreefkeeper

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank passed it's first test. I went out of town last weekend for my cousin's wedding and left the tank to be cared for by my in-laws. If you've read the thread you know that's a risk. I worried about it as it was only set up for a few days before I left and I hoped it wouldn't run into problems. Based on all the times I've set it up though, I knew there couldn't be many. The only thing I changed was removing the skimmer and adding the reactor and some powerheads.
Once I got back I created a new frag rack. The old one was 7 by 12, this one is 12 by 24. The coral will have room to grow now. Some of the frags were touching and burnt each other.
20190816_174129.jpg

I told myself (and you peeps) I was happy with the flow but I wasn't. In the old tank I could get the current to spin clockwise then shut off a powerhead and turn another on and get it to spin counter clockwise. I can't replicate that in this tank. I think the corner overflow is curved and throws it off. It flows good left to right but it won't flow right to left, it just dies. I bought another powerhead to try and fix it with no luck. I settled on 2 smaller ones on the back wall running a pulse at slow speeds. The left side is a bigger one pushing hard across on a pulse at the bottom. There's another big one up top rapid pulsing softly on the right. If I turn it just right it creates a wave that almost splashes out of the tank. I've since turned it down, lol.
20190816_174150.jpg

It still pushes hard left to right but the top one does make the water twist around for a few seconds here and there. I'm not totally happy with it but it will have to do.
My question for everyone...... I plan to rotate the frags around once a week. By rotate I mean turn them 90 degrees so the current hits them differently so they don't grow funny. Have any of you ever done this or heard of anyone doing this? I know once they leave this tank for my display they won't be rotated but my display has 4 gyres so the flow is random but for the time being I'd like them to have 'random' flow.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything happens for a reason. The frag tank looks like it has come home!

OP
OP
Firemanreefkeeper

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to change out the return pump today. I was working in my 80 gallon tank resetting a Zoe frag that was pushed off it's rock perch. My hands were in the tank then out then back in with no issues. Then I went to this tank (34) to catch a rogue snail that had managed to get into the sump. I have a cut on my finger and as soon as I put it into the water it tingled and hurt. I passed it off as salt in a cut, no big deal. I caught the snail and returned him to the display. Ouch, my cut hurt again. Then it hit me. Why was I in the 80 gallon tank and nothing but in this one it hurts? Stray volts was my only solution.
I went back to the 80 just to be sure I wasn't crazy and put my hands back in. Nothing. I tried the 34 again and got the tingle. I asked my wife to put her hands in the tanks too. She questioned why but did it without me answering as I didn't want to skew the results. She felt something in the 34 but not the 80 just like me.
I started unplugging things and testing the water until the feeling went away. Then I plugged everything back in except the return pump and felt nothing. Then I did the return and got a softer tingle but it was still there. That was enough for me to decide to make the switch.
I have several pumps around but most are 350 gph or less and not enough for this tank. I still have my old 75 gallon tank in my garage that was for sale. I haven't had any luck selling it so I've been taking parts from it to use other places. What's one more part, right?
20190818_144719.jpg

It's completely overkill but it's what I had. It's the sicce SDC 7.0 pump that does 800 to 1900 gph. Yeah, that's way more than I need to move 38 gallons of water. It's running at idle and I still had to open the gate valve to adjust the water level in the display. The plus side is it's dead silent, the other return had a noticeable sound coming from it when I had the cabinet doors open. The other nice thing is I haven't gotten the tingle since the change.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back