4 days cycling...Now a freakin' leak shows!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the drawing board! Everything great for 4 days after starting the cycle, then noticed the full siphon line making a lot of noise empting into the sump this morning (Herbie style drain). Further inspection showed the noise was from a lot of air in the line causing bubbles to be released into the sump (drain line submerged 1").

Checking the overflow, I noticed the water dripping about an inch over the weir which was causing some bubbles going lower into the overflow that could be sucked into the full siphon line... but the larger amount coming out into the sump didn't make sense. Anyhow, i raised my emergency pipe to only let the water drop about 1/4" over the weir, minimal bubbles in the overflow, but still a lot in the sump!

So, totally shut off the siphon drain and forced everything through the emergency drain line. When opening the gate valve up again over the full siphon line, I noticed some water leak out of the bottom threaded connection on my gate valve!!! I'm only an eye doc, so plumbing definitely isn't my area of expertise... but learned something today...a leak on the full siphon line won't leak water out, but rather it must suction the water back into the line!

Well, I'll be tearing this apart and rebuilding that connecting! I used very little thread sealant the first time... won't make that mistake again!
20170818_160749.jpg

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew. I expected way worse when I read the title. Congrats on locating the leak and catching it early!

I guess you are right, it could have been a much worse (and way more messy) of a leak!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there and done that! Hey at least you caught it early! Let us know when you get it sealed.

Side note off topic, I use to make cataract surgery forceps for a living.
Capsulorhexis forceps, lens inserter forceps, tying forceps........etc.

wwhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's below the valve it's a easy fix. Close the valve and cut the line and fix it without stopping the cycle.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's below the valve it's a easy fix. Close the valve and cut the line and fix it without stopping the cycle.

Since its leaking at the threaded connection, I think I can just un-thread that connection, put on more thread sealant, and re-thread the connection...as long as the threads aren't damaged! If that is possible, I'm going to reseal the top threaded connection as well. I used very little thread sealant the first time (only covered the first 2 threads)...watched a freakin YouTube video recomnending that..big mistake!

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there and done that! Hey at least you caught it early! Let us know when you get it sealed.

Side note off topic, I use to make cataract surgery forceps for a living.
Capsulorhexis forceps, lens inserter forceps, tying forceps........etc.

Small world! Now not too many people can say they made cataract forceps for a living, lol. I do other minor surgeries, but don't mess with invasive surgeries, like cataracts...optometrist type eye doc here, lol.

wwhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like that wasn't possible from the picture. I'm not a fan of thread sealant but prefer teflon tape.

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very timely for me...I'm literally about to walk out the door to the plumbing supplier to buy all my PVC fittings for my new build...

"Mental note...buy teflon tape"

Good thing you caught it early...but the four day delay....it was lulling you into a false sense of security!!

wwhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When wrapping the pin end with teflon tape wrap it in the same direction that the box end screws on. If you wrap it in the opposite direction it will try to unwrap as your screwing the two pieces together. Hope this makes sense

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very timely for me...I'm literally about to walk out the door to the plumbing supplier to buy all my PVC fittings for my new build...

"Mental note...buy teflon tape"

Good thing you caught it early...but the four day delay....it was lulling you into a false sense of security!!

Best to use solvent welds over threaded connections! But the $45 for a spears gate valve convinced me that I might want to change the plumbing later and use the gate valve again...so wetting with threaded. Check out this Lasco PVC fitting maker... says don't use teflon tape with PVC... but many do without problems!

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to use solvent welds over threaded connections! But the $45 for a spears gate valve convinced me that I might want to change the plumbing later and use the gate valve again...so wetting with threaded. Check out this Lasco PVC fitting maker... says don't use teflon tape with PVC... but many do without problems!

http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

I chatted to the plumbing supplier today about that. Most of my connections are going to be glued, but a couple will be threaded.

The guys recommended to use teflon tape but only a little. He reckoned 5 turns was all that was necessary as a rule of thumb. His observation is that most plumbers use waaaayyy too much and that leads to problems as well.

I'll have threaded connections into my bulkhead and also one of my non-return valve but the rest will be glued.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the drain line out to fix...it wasn't a leaky thread after all. Cracked valve at the threads! I guess I must have over tightened the connection... vs just a weak spot.

Well, looks like I need to get a new valve after all.
20170820_153453.jpg

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the drain line out to fix...it wasn't a leaky thread after all. Cracked valve at the threads! I guess I must have over tightened the connection... vs just a weak spot.

Well, looks like I need to get a new valve after all.
20170820_153453.jpg
Non-hermit need to crank that hard on them let the pipe sealant do its job. Put a good bead around the beginning of the threads and it will go where it's needed as you tighten. I have around 30 years experience in plumbing and have never had any joints leak and I've plumbed a lot of tanks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that happens a lot. Suggest you look for Heavy Duty Teflon Tape. Home Depot sells it. It's much thicker and doesn't fall apart like the cheap stuff. Just a couple of wraps. Never had a leak with the Heavy Duty tape. Toss the cheap stuff. :eek:

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-hermit need to crank that hard on them let the pipe sealant do its job. Put a good bead around the beginning of the threads and it will go where it's needed as you tighten. I have around 30 years experience in plumbing and have never had any joints leak and I've plumbed a lot of tanks.

I'm tempted to just replace it with a slip valve I could just solvent/cement instead of the threads. I used very little thread sealant on this broken one (just the first couple of threads)... but the schedule 80 adapter would only go in about 3/8" until it was hand tight. I've read only to go another 1-2 rotations past hand tight... does that sound right?

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its not under high pressure. I prefer glue myself plus i add unions all over the place to help with cleaning or future upgrades

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back