4 year old reef just sprung a leak...

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I set up a reef tank back in 2020, right before COVID. It's been a bit of a mess biologically (constantly battling algae), but mechanically, the system had been running fine up until recently.

A few months back, I noticed that my pump had begun being really finicky if I turned it off for a water change then turned it back on again. Sometimes it just didn't want to start and I had to try different outlets on the powerstrip. Before a major trip recently I took the whole thing apart, cleaned it, and reinstalled it, and it seemed to work.

Tonight, it died for good. It just stopped working, was hot to the touch, and even if I could get the propeller to turn for a short period of time, smoke literally started coming out of the unit. I tried messing around with getting an old cannister filter I had to jury rig water flow from the sump to the main tank, but that just wouldn't work. Then I remembered I still had a pump from my older setup (that I had running from about 2007 to 2014). The pump had higher flow than my "newer" one, with the only issue being the flexline was a shorter gauge, though I managed to get a water-tight line here by slip-fitting a bit of the smaller tubing inside the larger tubing.

But the whole thing was a big mess. My undertank area is really small/cluttered, and trying to reinstall the return line, I I must have jostled one of my drain lines, because there's a drip now.

20240407_210109.jpg

The good news is this isn't even my main drain, it's a secondary, emergency line if the primary drain gets clogged. I moved every cord the drip could potentially travel out of the way, so the water just drips down into the sump, and it's not doing much of anything now, and should be safe for a few days.

The idea of trying to replumb a live tank makes me pretty uneasy. I do not see any evidence that I overtightened and cracked the glass, and since the opposite side is a drain, it's just pressure fit, so I can pull out the pipe at any time. I'm guessing something ****** up the bulkhead seal. Do you guys think I could get away with just draining/cleaning the overflow, and tightening this line again? Presuming, of course, that the overflow is still watertight (fingers crossed on that).

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I set up a reef tank back in 2020, right before COVID. It's been a bit of a mess biologically (constantly battling algae), but mechanically, the system had been running fine up until recently.

A few months back, I noticed that my pump had begun being really finicky if I turned it off for a water change then turned it back on again. Sometimes it just didn't want to start and I had to try different outlets on the powerstrip. Before a major trip recently I took the whole thing apart, cleaned it, and reinstalled it, and it seemed to work.

Tonight, it died for good. It just stopped working, was hot to the touch, and even if I could get the propeller to turn for a short period of time, smoke literally started coming out of the unit. I tried messing around with getting an old cannister filter I had to jury rig water flow from the sump to the main tank, but that just wouldn't work. Then I remembered I still had a pump from my older setup (that I had running from about 2007 to 2014). The pump had higher flow than my "newer" one, with the only issue being the flexline was a shorter gauge, though I managed to get a water-tight line here by slip-fitting a bit of the smaller tubing inside the larger tubing.

But the whole thing was a big mess. My undertank area is really small/cluttered, and trying to reinstall the return line, I I must have jostled one of my drain lines, because there's a drip now.

20240407_210109.jpg

The good news is this isn't even my main drain, it's a secondary, emergency line if the primary drain gets clogged. I moved every cord the drip could potentially travel out of the way, so the water just drips down into the sump, and it's not doing much of anything now, and should be safe for a few days.

The idea of trying to replumb a live tank makes me pretty uneasy. I do not see any evidence that I overtightened and cracked the glass, and since the opposite side is a drain, it's just pressure fit, so I can pull out the pipe at any time. I'm guessing something ****** up the bulkhead seal. Do you guys think I could get away with just draining/cleaning the overflow, and tightening this line again? Presuming, of course, that the overflow is still watertight (fingers crossed on that).
Reef safe silicone might be enough to seal that tiny leak without any issues.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe silicone might be enough to seal that tiny leak without any issues.
What about flex seal? Not sure if it's reef safe, tbh, but I remember the infomercial that it can be applied wet. Not sure about silicone as I've only used it in dry environments.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s surprising how just a 1/16 of a turn can be the difference with water tight and leaks with bulkheads lol. If you can get a wrench in there (I know it’s a tight fit) you may just try to give it just a slight turn. The silicone isn’t a bad idea either as stated above.

OP
OP
E

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here's a little update. The area is dryer now, and it's clear the water is not dripping down the outside of the bulkhead. Instead, it's traveling inside the nut, down the threads on the rear of the bulkhead, in the one spot I can't clearly see.

Do you guys think one of those two-part reef-safe epoxies or putties might work well enough? I'm sure I have some kicking around, and they cure underwater, but I wonder if they'd squish down enough to dam whatever minuscule area the water is coming from. The good side is it would likely be much easier to take off if total replacement is ultimately needed.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain the overflow, loosen the bulkhead, dry the glass, gasket, and flange. Then retighten the bulkhead. The 'fixes' you are propising can help with the leak, but the best thing to so it fix it properly.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back