Emergency line dripping but water in overflow is low - why ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was fine with the emergency line until this morning. Last night I cleaned the weir on the overflow box with a tooth brush and also gently ran it down my 2 drains. I felt the emergency drain was a little loose but figured this was not glued to allow cleaning.

This morning I saw there was a steady, slow drip on the emergency line, even though the water in the overflow was 2 inches below the drain.
1709478486282.jpeg

I ran a long brush down this drain and the other and did not feel any resistance.

How can this be ? Does it mean there is a crack somewhere in the drain ? This is a schedule 40 pipe, so not easy to crack.

Thanks !

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was fine with the emergency line until this morning. Last night I cleaned the weir on the overflow box with a tooth brush and also gently ran it down my 2 drains. I felt the emergency drain was a little loose but figured this was not glued to allow cleaning.

This morning I saw there was a steady, slow drip on the emergency line, even though the water in the overflow was 2 inches below the drain.
1709478486282.jpeg

I ran a long brush down this drain and the other and did not feel any resistance.

How can this be ? Does it mean there is a crack somewhere in the drain ? This is a schedule 40 pipe, so not easy to crack.

Thanks !
my guess is theres a small leak between the actual pipe and that fitting on top (is it a coupling?)

EDIT: if you feel it moving and its loose in the bulkhead, it could def be leaking there. it doesnt need to be glued, but it should be tight

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my guess is theres a small leak between the actual pipe and that fitting on top (is it a coupling?)

EDIT: if you feel it moving and its loose in the bulkhead, it could def be leaking there. it doesnt need to be glued, but it should be tight
I don’t know what a coupling is. It’s one of those 3 pipes on this picture.
1709479710206.jpeg

If it’s not coming from the top, it’s leaking in somewhere lower. Probably right where the coupling is at the top or the bulkhead

So how do I fix this ?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what a coupling is. It’s one of those 3 pipes on this picture.
1709479710206.jpeg

So how do I fix this ?
the part you have circled in your opriginal post. theres a piece thats wider than the pipe sitrting on top of the pipe. that thing is what i was saying is maybe leaking.
why do you have that on there rather than just a straight piece of pvc?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the part you have circled in your opriginal post. theres a piece thats wider than the pipe sitrting on top of the pipe. that thing is what i was saying is maybe leaking.
why do you have that on there rather than just a straight piece of pvc?
Okay, I see. I have no idea why they used that. It’s my first tank with a sump and it’s custom built. I didn’t have the knowledge to question that choice.

I stopped the pump and tried to screw in the pipe more. It didn’t stop the dripping, but it made it from a different spot, which tends to validate your hypothesis. By turning the drain, the drip followed.

I suppose there was gunk in there and by using a toothbrush to clean it, I removed it. With new gunk building up, it should stop again, hopefully. Or maybe I can remove the drain and use some gorilla glue all around inside to stop the leak ? Or even just dry it and glue it from inside.

Later I’ll do one last test to prove this theory. I’ll bring the level below this line and see if it still leaks. If so, that means the link is coming from the bottom of the drain, not the top.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I see. I have no idea why they used that. It’s my first tank with a sump and it’s custom built. I didn’t have the knowledge to question that choice.

I stopped the pump and tried to screw in the pipe more. It didn’t stop the dripping, but it made it from a different spot, which tends to validate your hypothesis. By turning the drain, the drip followed.

I suppose there was gunk in there and by using a toothbrush to clean it, I removed it. With new gunk building up, it should stop again, hopefully. Or maybe I can remove the drain and use some gorilla glue all around inside to stop the leak ? Or even just dry it and glue it from inside.

Later I’ll do one last test to prove this theory. I’ll bring the level below this line and see if it still leaks. If so, that means the link is coming from the bottom of the drain, not the top.
Just give it a little while for gunk to build up again and seal the leak. My drains initially leaked like this but soon stopped after I got the tank running.
I suggest not moving or cleaning the drain pipes unless there's a clear blockage.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give it a little while for gunk to build up again and seal the leak. My drains initially leaked like this but soon stopped after I got the tank running.
I suggest not moving or cleaning the drain pipes unless there's a clear blockage.
Thanks. I’ll do just that. I’m learning as I go. I wish I knew all this stuff before but I guess that’s how you build experience. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back