Calling All Planet Aquarium External Overflow Owners

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apologies in advance, I'm a bit long-winded :smirking-face:

I have a Planet Aquarium Mega Matrix 120 (4x2x2) with an external overflow. Initially I had a LOT of trouble getting it dialed in and "quiet." The issue was the standpipes included with the package were TOO LOW, resulting in a LOW water level in the overflow box. The water level in both the internal and external halves of the overflow is determined by the secondary drain which, as designed, sits well below the top of the bulkheads connecting internal/external halves. So the splashing caused by the water falling through the weir and down to the water level gets amplified through the two large connecting holes and into the back half. Essentially creating a big echo chamber. The low water level and turbulent flow also makes it more likely the primary drain will suck in air (more noise).

My solution was to replace the secondary and emergency standpipes with TALLER ones, and the primary with a SHORTER one, thus pushing the water level inside the overflow box nearly to the top. I allowed enough space for the emergency drain to sit the highest of course. This resulted in the bulkhead connections being covered, which quieted the flow down SIGNIFICANTLY.

IMG_8762.jpeg
IMG_8760.jpeg
IMG_8759.jpeg

However, the water level in the overflow is still about a half inch below the water level in the tank itself. This means when the water flows through the weir, it falls slightly, creating a trickling sound. This is my first tank with a sump, so part of this could just be my inexperience. However I hear over and over people talking about how their overflows are DEAD silent. And my wife NOT being a reefer would greatly appreciate that since the tank sits right outside our bedroom!

So after all that, my question is this: for those who have this Planet Aquarium external overflow, is there a trickling sound with yours? Did you have to modify the overflow in any way to achieve a quieter/silent flow?

After some brainstorming I'm considering getting a piece of 1/2" PVC, capping it at both ends so it floats, and placing it in the weir box. This should quiet down the "trickling" as the water will flow over it rather than fall to the surface of the water in the box. And the shape of it wouldn't allow it to clog anything as far as I can tell. Alternatively, I could silicone it to the inside of the weir box, just below the weir so the water flows over it more gently.

Thoughts on this?

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a Planet tank with an external overflow. Mine is very quiet. How much flow are you running through it? I'm wondering if that is having an impact. I am guessing I put about 800ish gph through mine (the main pump is split with half going to this display and half going to a frag tank, so I'm not really sure).

I think your explanation of slightly altering the standpipe heights makes perfect sense and I would have suggested that as well.

Thanks,
Ed

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Planet tank with an external overflow. Mine is very quiet. How much flow are you running through it? I'm wondering if that is having an impact. I am guessing I put about 800ish gph through mine (the main pump is split with half going to this display and half going to a frag tank, so I'm not really sure).

I think your explanation of slightly altering the standpipe heights makes perfect sense and I would have suggested that as well.

Thanks,
Ed

I'm probably around the same flow as you are. I measured the return flow via the bucket method so obviously it's not precise by a long shot, but I was pushing about 750 gph total.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of the crappy tideline overflow and got one from ecoxotic and it’s a million times better

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’m not sure if there are different versions of the planet external overflow but I’m not sure how I could/would make this one better. The acrylic is thick and routered/cut cleanly, it doesn’t bow at all, the covers fit securely, it has 2x1.5” inlets and 3x1” drains which is perfect for this setup, etc.

The only difference I’m seeing in mine is the main/full siphon drain is a strainer instead of an open pipe, but at full siphon that shouldn’t matter. Maybe compare the height of the secondary standpipe to mine?

-Ed

IMG_4920.jpeg
IMG_4919.jpeg
IMG_4917.jpeg
IMG_4916.jpeg
IMG_4914.jpeg

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm late to the party, but if memory serves correctly, Acro-Ed bought my Planet. I modified the height of the median overflow drain to raise the water level higher within the external box. That resolved some of the 'water falling' noise. I want to say I cut a new piece of PVC for that purpose but I'm not 100% on that. Alternatively, you can still raise the median drain tube some it just won't be as secure in the bulkhead. Just don't make it as high as the true emergency drain.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh, my planet didn't come with all the external pieces.
I made all my own but I'll be using this thread when my tank gets wet.
On a side note: I put my emergency in the middle with 2 45° elbows just incase I need to clear the syphone or secondary line. I can't reach the emergency line from outside the stand especially with the other outside lines. The middle line is impossible to reach....unless I crawl in the stand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back