Can some explain how to tune this drain?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ran hob overflows with single drains since entering the hobby so I apologize is this is common knowledge. I have searched a bit but have not found an explanation. I'm setting up a new waterbox system and do not understand the drain system. These are the drains
Screenshot_20240229-072759~2.png

Valves are inside the stand so not shown in the image so I labeled the valve typed installed. I have double checked to make sure they are installed on the correct location according to the instructions. Since the lowest drain is going to drain first I would think it is the main drain and would have the gate valve no? I can shut the ball valve and adjust flow using the gate valve but then I'm thinking why have the 3rd drain? It's probably something my pea brain just isn't grasping so I'm hoping for someone to explain how this system is supposed to be tuned.

EDIT : OK so it appears the gate valve is on the emergency drain and adjustments are made there. Totally different than what I'm used to. The only non hob overflow system I'm familiar with is readsea and the only valve is on the main drain and emergency is wide open but it's a two drain system not 3.

Last edited:

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3 drain system is a Bean Animal drain. Only 1 gate valve is needed on the primary drain.
Use this to get the desired height in the overflow exterior box, the next lowest drain can have a SMALL amount of water going down into the sump, or remain dry, either way is OK.
The tallest pipe is the emergency drain if everything else fails. It should be left above the sump water level so you will hear it running & know something is wrong.

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT : OK so it appears the gate valve is on the emergency drain and adjustments are made there. Totally different than what I'm used to.
This is off target. The gate valve goes on the primary drain. The secondary drain is "choked" a bit so that it can't flow too much. However, what it does flow will be quiet. Its job is to handle the little fluctuations in flow rate that all of us have.

The emergency drain is rarely used and often set up to pour loudly into the sump to get attention, like an alarm.

This link is where I learned to set up my overflow. It should set you straight.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer I do not have a Waterbox aquarium

The third one is an emergency drain.

I do not understand what is pictured for the main drain. To me it seems like it is a Herbie set up but with the main drain divided into two separate pipes

Just because it has three drains does no make it a @BeanAnimal drain.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3 drain system is a Bean Animal drain. Only 1 gate valve is needed on the primary drain.
Use this to get the desired height in the overflow exterior box, the next lowest drain can have a SMALL amount of water going down into the sump, or remain dry, either way is OK.
The tallest pipe is the emergency drain if everything else fails. It should be left above the sump water level so you will hear it running & know something is wrong.

This is off target. The gate valve goes on the primary drain. The secondary drain is "choked" a bit so that it can't flow too much. However, what it does flow will be quiet. Its job is to handle the little fluctuations in flow rate that all of us have.

The emergency drain is rarely used and often set up to pour loudly into the sump to get attention, like an alarm.

This link is where I learned to set up my overflow. It should set you straight.

Thanks
I don't know why waterbox has the gate valve on the secondary and the ball valve on the main drain. I've triple checked the directions and they have me installing the short main drain onto the ball valve piping. I have leaks and need to disassemble so maybe I'll swap the drains so the main is on the gate valve.
I didn't go custom this time because I didn't feel like doing all the plumbing but I think it would have been less frustrating. I'd rather have a two drain system like my redsea tanks vs this. Oh well time to stop whining and get back at it.

This is the setup for reference. Left to right emergency, secondary, primary (shortest) and return
PXL_20240229_161647420.jpg

plumbing.png

EDIT: I sent an email to WB so I'll see what they have to say about how to tune this thing. Only way I can get it quite is to close the ball valve partially which doesn't make sense to me with a gate valve also present.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a strange setup. Do you have a link to the model?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GATE VALVE does the tuning , NOT the ball valve.
Just swap the pipes inside the outer box

For this plumbing, there isn't a "main" or "secondary" drain as they are both used. You're free to switch the valves if you choose to do so, but both drains are used in this case

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe take the same photo and number them instead of claiming what they are, so they can tell you which one gets what, and what the others are.
So pipe 1) does blah blah
etc.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not notice the rear chamber that takes water to the filter socks the first time. They call M6 and M8 both main drains. To bad they do not give instructions on how to adjust.

1709249676590.png

My plumbing experience is pretty limited but with sumps and such I was always a ball valve is used for on/off and a gate valve adjustments. Since they both are used for adjustment why not just use 2 gate valves :thinking-face:

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is ridiculous.

Take the strainers off.

Remove the ball valve.

Put the gate valve on the lowest drain.

All set!
Thanks. This exactly what I was thinking about doing today. I see no need for the strainers as the box has a lid and I doubt all 3 drains will ever be plugged all at once. I run single drain hobs on another tank without strainers.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would update. I had to remove all the plumbing because I had some drips at the oring fittings. When I reassemble I did exactly as @BOYERZ recommended. It is dead silent now with the exception of a little water trickle sound. I can't hear it over the sound of my old tank still running in the same room with hob overflows and basement sump. I do have to use both valves to adjust the flow but that allows me to raise the level in the overflow chamber to reduce the water fall sound. Tweaking them both I can raise and lower it as desired.
All and all this is a pretty sweet setup compared to what I have been running for the last 6 or so years. Thanks to all who helped.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back