Best way to clean plumbing

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScottF
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ScottF

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2024
Messages
715
Reaction score
346
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea S1000 Gen 2 tank has been running for about a year and a half. Lately I can't keep the water level in the overflow box tuned in. It will be fine for a few days and suddenly will start overflowing into the emergency drain pipe or the overflow box will completely drain into the sump as if the gate valve was all the way open.

I suspect that I have something growing in my gate valve that is causing this. Like sponges or aiptasia or something. It seems to fix it for about a week if I turn my pumps off, close the gate valve all the way, open it all the way, return it to it's normal position and turn the pumps back on. Then it starts happening again.

I think I'm going to try to shut off my pumps, disconnect the drain pipe and clean it out. What would be the best way to do this? Flush it out with vinegar? Citric acid? Diluted bleach?
 
Unfortunately what you are experiencing is not unsual for redsea tanks with the diaphragm valve. I've had two RS tanks and both needed adjustment quite often. I just had to adjust my 300 this morning. I've taken the valves apart and cleaned them but they never had more than a layer of film inside . Some people report switching to a gate valve makes it better.
You can try cleaning the plumbing but TBH I think it will be a waste of time.
 
Unfortunately what you are experiencing is not usual for redsea tanks with the diaphragm valve. I've had two RS tanks and both needed adjustment quite often. I just had to adjust my 300 this morning. I've taken the valves apart and cleaned it but it had no more than a layer of film inside . Some people report switching to a gate valve makes it better.
You can try cleaning the plumbing buy TBH I think it will be a waste of time.

Interesting. Mine was rock solid for over a year. Now it will go from the water level being perfect for a few days to it sounding like a toiler flushing in a matter of moments. It's bad.

I guess I'll have to look into upgrading to the new valves.
 
I have no idea why they do what they do. Mine will be fine for a few months then one day noisy. I gave up tryin to figure it out. I also have a WB and don't have the problem. My first tank failed and this one is currently failing so I'm moving on to a different brand and no diaphragm valve.
 
I have no idea why they do what they do. Mine will be fine for a few months then one day noisy. I gave up tryin to figure it out. I also have a WB and don't have the problem. My first tank failed and this one is currently failing so I'm moving on to a different brand and no diaphragm valve.

What model is the current one? I check my seams any time I hear a weird noise coming from my tank. Life with RedSea...


I just ordered:

ReefGate Valve Upgrade Kit for Reefers with 40mm / 1-25" Piping - Red Sea​

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new