4 foot build

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a slow and steady one and take my time to get it right.

I don’t have space for a sump so I’ll be using a canister filter. Rated at 2000ltr per hour. I know these are a so called nitrate factory. I’ve bought a smaller pre filter which has coarse, medium and fine sponges inside. The water just flows through this so assuming the water flow rate will be reduced so will have probably 2 wave makers in there. Thinking I can clean the pre filter ever other day/per week as it can just be turned off with the taps and removed from the system easily and clean the bigger one every other week perhaps??

Bigger one has some ceramic, carbon and floss inside.

So far;

1. Bought the 4 foot tank
2. Made a ply wood top for the stand
3. Shimmed it a little between stand and plywood
4. Got some styrofoam for under the tank, could only find 25mm. It’s too big but I’ll get some smaller stuff and once the tanks cycled I’ll drop the water out before anything else goes in.
5. Bought the lights, 300w Mars Aqua one. Got it second hand and seems to be in great condition, apart from the horrible stand for them but it’ll do for now.
6. Bought and RO unit and got my water filtered
7. Salts arrived
8. Tanks back up and filled. Sand in and heater on
9. Rock is back out and soaking in the bath. I know I don’t need to but really just to get rid of the dust etc from it

That’s it for now.

:)

4DFC4EFE-26F4-4B8E-A6BD-A29496EA940D.jpeg AEA38D51-A411-4F8B-B614-CF58ABA9E4BC.jpeg 836FEFF6-8956-4F3F-AF74-A31964768D12.jpeg BEE250B0-3C15-4799-BA61-9191F4158201.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up to temp this morning so rock and salt will be going in tonight then let the cycle begin.

In regards to the lights, should they be raised up a little higher? I don’t have any light spread over the front onto the floor but there is a lot of concentration in the middle of the tank and not a lot at the edges.

OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last bit done for today. Salt mixed and in, rock rinsed and in, dosed with bacteria in a bottle.

Patience now required

FCAFFD7C-C025-42E6-869D-EB7FB28DE86C.jpeg

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light looks tooclose to the surface. I recommend raising to at least 13” but probably even higher to like 16”
BRS has some videos on these massive led boxes and how to get the best light spread out of them

OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get a look at that, thanks. They are deffo no where near as high as that. About 8-9 above the water level at the moment.

OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some readings today

ph - 8.2
Ammonia - 1
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Salinity - 1.021 raised that to 1.024 for the moment
Kh - 6.4
Calcium - 450
Phosphate- 0

this is the salt I used.

That’s all the test kits I have at the moment

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D Today’s readings

Ammonia- 0.5
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Salinity - 1.026 I upped this a touch from 1.024

Looks like it going in the right direction. Bacteria bloom came last night.

OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more readings from today

Ammonia - 0.75
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10

I was expecting to see some nitrites by now but still clear blue on the api test kit. Ammonia is up a tough. Not quite at 1ppm but darker than 0.5.

I’m using the Fluval Cylce biological enhancer as per the directions.

I’m almost out of it mind you but I’m thinking this isn’t enough in regards to ammonia. I’ve found household ammonia in a a shop not too far from me.

Can I switch to that?

Thanks
K

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Kenny!

I agree the vipars spectra will give a nicer spread and even diffusion when raised up. I r gently raised mine up last month and it's been a definite improvement.

OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Kenny!

I agree the vipars spectra will give a nicer spread and even diffusion when raised up. I r gently raised mine up last month and it's been a definite improvement.

thank you. Slowly does it.

I’ve had to take the lights down for now anyway. The skimmer is one that sits on the end of the tank so the light bracket doesn’t fit now. I could have put the skimmer on the back but would mean emptying tank to move it forward which I’d rather not do.
I’ll just get some brackets or hang it from the ceiling.

OP
OP
K

kenny_scotland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the tank today. Got the lights on the ceiling. Raised it up to 15 inch from water level.

went out to Lfs for some blue leg crabs. Got 5 for the moment and see how they go over the next days/weeks.

Also picked up a little bit of live rock. Looked good and was a bargain so couldn’t say no lol.

Don’t mind that it looks cloudy, skimmer is still breaking in. Full of micro bubbles at the mo.

167157F4-5ABC-4211-A759-50C7A057837D.jpeg EDCDD94D-89B5-4159-BF6F-9C8DC910F3B2.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back