40 Breeder Canopy

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am in the process of building a 40 Breeder AIO with the Fiji Cube insert kit. It will be a peninsula style tank with an 8020 light mount. I want to put a canopy on this tank and I am trying to figure out the best material to use. I found some black acrylic but the reviews said it was more tinted and would let some light through. I have also looked at PVC Board, but I have no experience with it. I have some thin plywood that I will be using to magnetically attach to the Petco steel stand, however I’m not sure how well it would hold up over time sitting on top of the saltwater. The canopy needs to be light weight enough to rest on the plastic trim of the tank and it will not be supporting anything. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a thin furniture grade wood, made recessed platforms on the underside corners so it sat on the 4 corners of the black rim and hung down an inch to cover the black plastic trim.

Coat the inside thoroughly with marine grade spar varnish and let cure for a week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back