40 Breeder Sump & Refugium Design

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been trying to design a very rough draft of a sump/refugium setup to go under my soon to be reef tank. Until I get the skimmer and other pieces, this is the best I can do. Since I'm new to this, and only have a little knowledge as to how the baffles and whatnot work in a sump, I'd like some input from the community here. Attached is my 3rd draft of this, and what I believe to be my best shot. All baffles are intended to be glass, except the assemble that has the filter cups/socks. Please note that none of this is to any scale of any kind, and that it is a 2d rendering of a concept.

sump design 3.jpg

Dpate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should there be some sort of foam or floss between the baffles? I've see that design used, but I'm not certain of its function.

NO! the sponge or whatever is stuffed in between the baffles clogs up quickly leading to fluctuations in the return chamber. The space between baffles serves as a bubble trap.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been trying to design a very rough draft of a sump/refugium setup to go under my soon to be reef tank. Until I get the skimmer and other pieces, this is the best I can do. Since I'm new to this, and only have a little knowledge as to how the baffles and whatnot work in a sump, I'd like some input from the community here. Attached is my 3rd draft of this, and what I believe to be my best shot. All baffles are intended to be glass, except the assemble that has the filter cups/socks. Please note that none of this is to any scale of any kind, and that it is a 2d rendering of a concept.

sump design 3.jpg

I should probably put another bubble trap between the fuge and the pump

Dpate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wherever they will fit in the sump. Make sure they are 100% submersible as you will probably need to install sideways.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 300W Eheim will not fit in a 40B....try two 150W....better running two versus one anyway.

Baffles look very high. Make sure the back-flow volume will fit in the sump. This is calculable.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 300W Eheim will not fit in a 40B....try two 150W....better running two versus one anyway.

Baffles look very high. Make sure the back-flow volume will fit in the sump. This is calculable.

Nothing is to scale. But I'll probably go with smaller heaters though.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sump design 3.jpg

So I've made some slight changes to the diagram, and created the top down view of what I THINK it will look like once I actually get the equipment on hand.

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks really good, I would only make two suggestions. First, add some sort of a "catch" to keep stray chaeto out of the return pump chamber. They make some course filter floss that will be perfect. Second, a 40 breeder is a decent size tank but I would do some drawings to scale, you'd be surprised how fast that space gets eaten up.

Also try to keep in mind you are going to have to clean this sump and maintain the equipment in it. Remember the when you are designing. Looks good and good luck.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks really good, I would only make two suggestions. First, add some sort of a "catch" to keep stray chaeto out of the return pump chamber. They make some course filter floss that will be perfect. Second, a 40 breeder is a decent size tank but I would do some drawings to scale, you'd be surprised how fast that space gets eaten up.

Also try to keep in mind you are going to have to clean this sump and maintain the equipment in it. Remember the when you are designing. Looks good and good luck.

I was hoping to put some sort of egg crate or something at the top, but I understand what you're saying. I just have no way to illustrate it.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need the fuge side bubble trap you should not be creating bubbles in that chamber influent pipe should be under water to prevent noise

Also I made slits on the fuge wall to keep the algea from going over

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need the fuge side bubble trap you should not be creating bubbles in that chamber influent pipe should be under water to prevent noise

Also I made slits on the fuge wall to keep the algea from going over

Tank you!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back