40 gal breeder stocking

StefanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up my first mixed reef tank. In doing a 40 gallon breeder. This is the list I have come up with so far. Is it too much? Any input would be great. Also could I add multiple at once after doing a fishless cycle?
Fish
2 black and white clowns
1 Watchman goby and pistol pair
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Six line wrasse (will be added last)
1 Aptaisa eating file fish
3 blue chromis

Inverts
1 Emerald crab
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 blue leg hermits
3 nasarius snails
3 trocus snails

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a good list. You should be able to add 2-3 fish at a time.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add your CUC first and do a 45 day "fallow" period before adding your fish. It's often difficult to quarantine inverts, and this will allow you to do that without requiring a second tank. If you're lucky, the trochus snails will also breed quickly, and there's less chance that their eggs will be eaten if there aren't any fish to do that. This is what I did in my Evo, and I subsequently populated two other tanks with lots of other baby snails.

I'd think twice about the filefish if you want to keep LPS. The pygmy white-spotted filefish is much better-behaved and is a great substitute.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Lawnmower blenny - I would change this with an urchin to do the same job but lower the fish load
1 Six line wrasse (will be added last)- pink streaked wrasse if you can find it, 6 lines are jerks and you dont want it biting your other fish and killing them.
Blue-green chromis- i honestly dont know anyone was has kept a straight trio of them alive for a long period of time, either they pic off eachother or die from uronema

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
springeri damsels 2-3 would be fine and they dont kill eachother, azures damselfish are good as well. These are non-aggressive damselfish as opposed to pretty much every other damsel

Dutch46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up my first mixed reef tank. In doing a 40 gallon breeder. This is the list I have come up with so far. Is it too much? Any input would be great. Also could I add multiple at once after doing a fishless cycle?
Fish
2 black and white clowns
1 Lawnmower blenny
3 blue chromis

Inverts
1 Emerald crab
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 blue leg hermits
3 nasarius snails
3 trocus snails

Dutch46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Stafan; i,m new to ,and also starting a 40 gal breeder like you, but i let my tank first cycle for 14 days and have a 20 long for quarantine have frag in there now than i worry about the fish ,learned already don,t get in a hurry ,i had when i was in my 30,s fresh water tanks and breed Angles and Oscars but salt water for me is a whole other animal ,take your time and be safe, good luck ,drop me a line sometimes how it is going;Dutch

OP
OP
StefanW

StefanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Lawnmower blenny - I would change this with an urchin to do the same job but lower the fish load
1 Six line wrasse (will be added last)- pink streaked wrasse if you can find it, 6 lines are jerks and you dont want it biting your other fish and killing them.
Blue-green chromis- i honestly dont know anyone was has kept a straight trio of them alive for a long period of time, either they pic off eachother or die from uronema
Thoughts on a Mc Cosker wrasse is a 40 breeder? I did find a pink streaked available online as well.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish
2 black and white clowns
1 Lawnmower blenny
3 blue chromis

Inverts
1 Emerald crab
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp
5 blue leg hermits
3 nasarius snails
3 trocus snails
Thats a lot, but doable. You are going to need to watch your feeding and water quality. Do you have a sump? I definitely think a good skimmer is going to be important to keep up with water quality.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leopard wrasse, great fish but hard to get in a healthy one eating prepared foods. If they have one eating in store it should be fine in a 40 though mine is always on the move in an 80 gallon tank. Mccoskers should be fine as well make sure you have a top though as both like to jump.
Pink streaked or similar wrasses like tanaka wrasse are probably better suited to smaller tanks imo

OP
OP
StefanW

StefanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot, but doable. You are going to need to watch your feeding and water quality. Do you have a sump? I definitely think a good skimmer is going to be important to keep up with water quality.
Yes on the sump, plan on a refugium and skimmer. I think I've eliminated the chromis.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon all in one, thats been running since 2015. I have a par of clowns, a sailfin blenny, a yellow tang, an aptasia eating file fish and two short spine urchins, and i think thats maxed out on livestock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back