40 gallon breeder setup questions

tankaholic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2015
Messages
2,615
Reaction score
892
Location
Sarasota, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Now that Christmas is behind us. It's finally time for me to move out of the 20 gal tank and into a 40 gallon breeder.
With the breeder setup I'm going with a 29 gal sump. But not sure what size return pump I will need. So any help or recommendations would be great. I'm going to be using a eshopps pf1200 overflow. I know it's over kill...as this was bought for a 75gal but scraped the 75gal plan.
 
I'd go with around 350 gph personally. The common recommendation you'll hear most often is 5 to 10 times your total tank volume.
 
It would be much better to drill the tank and make an overflow box with a herbie style drain. The overflow box is going to be LOUD! For a return pump I would go with a dc pump so you can adjust the flow. I would also recommend going bigger than necessary for the return and install a manifold so you have the ability to add reactors and equipment ran off the return pump.
 
Drill it and get a 16" synergy overflow and plumb it bean animal so there will be no worries of a flood with power loss. As far a a return I bought a dct4000 for my 40b and 20L setup.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new