400 gallon display , and 450 gallon sump...

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

For the past 6 months I have been trying to figure out how I can .

1) increase my water volume,..
2) change from vsv method to macro argue method.
3) deal with the suspended particulate in the display, high flow, low turnover. Due to the fish load and excessive feeding.

Fish:
12 Goldies.
3 tangs- fowleri,purple, yellow ( chevron in quarantine)
Majestic fox
Emporer
Masked angel pair
Copperband
4 wrasses
Large saddleback clown pair and carpet.
Pair designer clowns
Juv blue ring angel.

Sps mostly ... To many to mention.

So here is my question in the below picture is my solution.

3 by 48x42 liquid ( food grade) plastic storage pallets .... My question is how ho I plum this?
My plan was to use the bottom right as return for the display ,... A settlement tank setup, with the 2 x 1.5 inch drains into the settlements (bottom right). The pallet on top will be the refurgium , with lid ... Was thinking to use dc 12000 or mag 12 from settlement to refurgium ontop.

Have 2 x 1.5 inch drains from top refurgium into palette on the left ( via filer sock chamber setup I'm building ) for equipment skimmers, carbon , gfo etc .... And return to the display by two 3000gph dc pumps on two 1" lines as the head pressure is not good, would suspect would get 2-3000 gph back to display? I realize I would have to plum the two bottom tanks to ensure water level was constant thinking to join two bottom tanks with 2x1.5 inch ?

This is the plan ,... Would like to know if there is a better idea on the plumbing ,.... And if I have missed anything ,... Or anything I should consider? Appreciate taking to time to read and any help you can offer.

Last edited:

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tiny fuge is funny compaired to what you are going to have. Connecting the two and have a pump bring water to the top and have it overflowing back will work.

If you want to use one less pump you can put the third on the floor by the skimmer and connect all 3.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a shelving unit to the right. Why not remove it and place all three units level? That will make flow a lot simpler. If you have 2(1.5") drains then I'd go with 2(2") connections between tanks so the water levels will stay even. Your display looks very similar to my 210 except the two islands overlap in the middle with a diagonal canyon between them.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenge is if I put the 3rd unit in between the tank and the first I will have no space to get the the controllers ... If I remove the rack it will bloc the second garage door ... And this will not fly with the boss ..( wife).. 2 cars need two parking.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I asking for trouble if I plum the top tank from the display ,... Worried about the flow from display it will drop to the floor running 6 feet elbow runn along another 6 feet and then up 32 inches to the top tank... it's about the same as the tank perhaps 5 inches below the floor of the display ...? Worried about detritus acumilating in the bottom of the 2x 1.5 inch pipe to the top tank ..? Don't think there will be enough force to lift the debris the 32 inches to the top tank?

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right let's try this suggestion. Tank draining into one of the bottom tubs with the return in the other bottom tub. Since the refusium will do better without full tank flow set a smaller pump in one of the lower tubs pushing water into the upper refusium and draining back down into the return tub.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks , ...

I'm not sure if I should add mud and substrade in the refurgium or just leave it bare bottom with chato ball? If I add mud and substrate onto what depth sand would be most useful?
Not a big fan of sand, ... but like the idea of being able to plant different algue and keep sea horses etc etc .... I would cut out two viewing panels in the front of the tub ....

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've mentioned the million dollar question. Just as with the dt debate of sand or bare bottom. I would say it all depends on how you plan to filter water and what you want to gain out of the refusium. For my system I run all drain water through two filter socks, through the skimmer compartment, then pump a small flow through a gfo/carbon reactor. The reactor output is the only flow through the refusium and very slow giving the algae time to remove nitrates and phosphates that actually made it through the reactor. I like a deep sand bed since I'm not using the refusium as a detritus sink. There are several small pieces of live rock and clams along with several varieties of macro algaes. The macro growth will increase anytime the reactor needs to be replenished and slow the rest of the time.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a local maintenance company to quote me on the plumbing, in the end I decided to DIY weekend project....
The new equipment sump .... 2 skimmers , ... Hopefully I will get my 48" extension from life reef in the coming weeks so I can put the ro sss6000 to rest. The rollermatt I got from the UK , couple weeks ago , and see BRS is selling then now :) , lost about 100 on shipping and had to buy a 220 to 100v converter for 20.... Must say it works well and is fed from a 1 " line from the top refurgium .... I got 5 dc 12000 on special and I'm using two as return ... One split to return and to 3 outlets for reactors.... Have reached your to a custom tank maker in Houston and asked then to build me something to house the filter socks, ... Return compartment to 4x7" filter sock overflow....

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rodi and cabling.... Still need to neaten this up , I have a GHL controller with touch pad coming in the mail , I will clean this up then....

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Refurgium with dragons breath and chato ,... Got 12 pounds Fiji mud and 2 pounds miracle mud in containers in the refurgium... Growing some maidens breath and others , 2 giant seahorses , pods, 2 pipe fish and , snails, crabs , two harlequin shrimp, 50 clams and 50 oysters ( (endless supply of Astra starfish in display).... As food. ).

Feed to top refurgium and 2" energency drain ....back to display return and settlement tank.

OP
OP
charleslotz

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Result ,.... It's been about month and a half ,... Water clarity in the display has dramatically improved and I syphon about 20 gallons a week from the settlement tank , to get all the poo out,... I'm slowly moving back to macro algue , from carbon dosing down to 60 ml from 90 ml VSV per day... Will be ready for triton in couple months,.. Have 3 more marine pure blocks on order to boost biological filtration. Had to change the aqua scape and join the two island.... With plate rock and temp travertine pillar... Sps growing like weeds,... And I keep buying more.... Think I must have almost all of uniques sps selection by now and some duplicates... I will take some nice pictures with my DSL and macro lens in the coming weeks as my skill improves.

Just have to neaten this up .... And figure a space saving topoff .... Still dosing silicone for my sponges... Hopefully I will get a huge population going in the settlement tank....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back