40b build stalled due to cloudy substrate

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, I’m having a heck of a time trying to set up my tank. 4 days ago I added three 20 pound bags of Caribsea Fiji Pink with the live bacteria and the cloudiness has been off the charts. My first tank it cleared up in a day and a half.

I feel like I’m stalled out. I have a pump to move water and a heater but I’ve stopped running the pump to help clear water. I don’t have my Tidal 110 going yet because I am hoping to add more rock and wanna keep the water low.

On that note, I could add more water and get the Tidal going if it will help clear things up. I need advice on what to use in that Tidal. Carbon pads or filter floss? I’ll be adding an HOB skimmer soon.

Also, there is an aragonite colored film coating the heater and pump - maybe dust. I didn’t rinse the sand first because that would negate the bacteria in the sand I figured.
IMG_6776.jpeg
IMG_6777.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will settle in a few days..... I would run mechanical filters to try to get it out though.

I would have, and always suggest to, rinse the sand before adding to get all the silt out. The 'live' part is just bacteria added to the sand to help it cycle, similar to bottled bacteria. You are probably adding some bottled bacteria to help with your cycle anyway, so the 'live' sand is redundant.

OP
OP
mdpitts

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will settle in a few days..... I would run mechanical filters to try to get it out though.

I would have, and always suggest to, rinse the sand before adding to get all the silt out. The 'live' part is just bacteria added to the sand to help it cycle, similar to bottled bacteria. You are probably adding some bottled bacteria to help with your cycle anyway, so the 'live' sand is redundant.
Yeah I added some Fritz 900. Dang. I should have asked first. Ok I’ll add water and get the floss working.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back