Need cheap recommendation on a UV to fight dinos.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title states.....I need a cheap recommendation on a uv unit to help combat dinos. My tank nutrients bottomed out 2 months ago when my tank had to go fallow to eradicate ich. I would like something cheap because I'm not planning on running it full time. The problem is, this is a 300 gal tank. I'm doing water changes through a filter sock to vacuum the sand and im planning to add some phyto and bacteria soon. I just need something to help me in this battle when the dinos are water born. They are the ones that clear up at night and proliferate during the day on my sand bed.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Large cell and small cell tend to not leave the sand bed I believe. Prorocentrum can be pushed into the water with a blackout but can be resistant to. Do you know which type you have? UV was pointless for me with large cell. Have you tried water glass (silica) dosing to bring a diatom bloom to compete?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no such thing as “cheap” when it comes to uv sterilizers.

I use Aqua Ultraviolet and it absolutely destroyed my Dinos.

-Matt

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no such thing as “cheap” when it comes to uv sterilizers.

I use Aqua Ultraviolet and it absolutely destroyed my Dinos.

-Matt
Well thats my point, I dont feel like spending 600+ dollars on a uv unit, esp since to don't run uv and will remove it once the dino are gone. There has to be something more affordable that will do the job, even if it takes a little longer.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats my point, I dont feel like spending 600+ dollars on a uv unit, esp since to don't run uv and will remove it once the dino are gone. There has to be something more affordable that will do the job, even if it takes a little longer.

They can come back…Once you see how effective they are, you’ll want to run it 24/7 for peace of mind.

Now if this is going to be a fish only tank, you might want to try some other tricks. If you’re going to invest heavily in coral, this should be up there on your list of must haves.

-Matt

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, this isn't related to the thread but is your 450 gallon still running? If so could we have an update please, im thinking of setting up something similar

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back