Avoiding Dinos in New Tank

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for awhile and thinking about coming back! I had a bad persistent case of Dinos ID'd as Amphidinium in my 3 year old 45 gallon mixed reef tank that really burned me out. They weren't killing my coral but within hours of blowing them off the sand they would reappear. At the time I tried literally everything I could find, lowering nutrients, raising nutrients, dosing silica daily, Vibrant, UV sterilizer, Microbactor7, dosing phytoplankton, and daily removal via fine filter sock. I fought them over a year, and eventually ended up tearing down my tank due to moving. I want to do anything I can to avoid dealing with that again. I've heard of some using some starter live rock to add biodiversity to the tank to help prevent Dino. I went to a couple of LFS's and none of them recommended this. One of the LFS's suggested adding some of his tank water to help start my tank and said that he's had good luck fighting and preventing Dinos in other tanks by doing so. In my last tank I only used Marco dry rock and Caribsea sand, I'm hesitant to try live rock from somewhere like TBS or a local reefer due to the pests or issues I could introduce, especially if it really isn't effective at preventing Dino. Have there been any other breakthroughs to kicking Dino for good, such as live rock?

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biodiversity is definitely how I feel about dinos as long as you have enough it’s definitely help outcompete a lot of unwanted things in your tank

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
silly-dino-silly.gif

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank with just Marco Rock and sand (not live). I had to deal with in month three and it took me close to a month to just under control. I also did everything recommended including buying some live rock from KP Aquatics (similar to TBS). During the subsequent flare up of dinos as well as follow-on green hair algae breakouts the live rocks did a lot better than the Marko rock. Next tank I set up I plan to use several large pieces of live rock to supplement the Marco rock aquascape. I also intend to get live sand from TBS (not just the said with bacteria added). The live rock is so much more resistant to dinos and nuisance algae.

I have also had no issues with pests on the live rock. They came with some bristle worms but my wrasse made short work of them.

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just battled Dino’s for 7 months. I know how frustrating they are. I didn’t even want to look at the tank. I did everything imaginable to rid the tank of them. I also started with dry rock and dry sand.

If I were you I would definitely use live rock, that’s what I would do if I started over. The dead rock allowed me to create a nice aquascape which was great, but it doesn’t matter how good your rock looks once Dino’s come!! Whatever you do I would run the tank with no lights for AWHILE! Maybe 4-6 months with just fish. Let your microbiome establish. I had this plan also then 7 weeks in I bought some frags and turned the lights on. I couldn’t control myself!

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just battled Dino’s for 7 months. I know how frustrating they are. I didn’t even want to look at the tank. I did everything imaginable to rid the tank of them...
Did you give Plus-NP a try? It's helped me deal with dinos on two separate occasions, with positive results in a matter of days.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for awhile and thinking about coming back! I had a bad persistent case of Dinos ID'd as Amphidinium in my 3 year old 45 gallon mixed reef tank that really burned me out. They weren't killing my coral but within hours of blowing them off the sand they would reappear. At the time I tried literally everything I could find, lowering nutrients, raising nutrients, dosing silica daily, Vibrant, UV sterilizer, Microbactor7, dosing phytoplankton, and daily removal via fine filter sock. I fought them over a year, and eventually ended up tearing down my tank due to moving. I want to do anything I can to avoid dealing with that again. I've heard of some using some starter live rock to add biodiversity to the tank to help prevent Dino. I went to a couple of LFS's and none of them recommended this. One of the LFS's suggested adding some of his tank water to help start my tank and said that he's had good luck fighting and preventing Dinos in other tanks by doing so. In my last tank I only used Marco dry rock and Caribsea sand, I'm hesitant to try live rock from somewhere like TBS or a local reefer due to the pests or issues I could introduce, especially if it really isn't effective at preventing Dino. Have there been any other breakthroughs to kicking Dino for good, such as live rock?
I recently got back into the hobby after 17 years. I started a 90 gallon with live sand, 50 lb dry rock, and 30 lb Jakarta live rock. I am on month 5 and so far (knocks on wood ) I have had zero issues. I also followed BRS recommendations of leaving lights off for the first 4 months, I actually did 3.5 months. Was very skeptical about the whole lights off thing, it is supposed to help curb the “ugly phase “ and I can say it honestly seemed to do just that. If you look at my tank build you can see some pics.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention that as soon my tank was cycled, I started adding copepods monthly. I am certain that had a HUGE impact on the success of my tank so far.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d start off with no sand and live rock

Once tank is matured and mostly stocked, then add rinsed sand for a cloudless delayed install

No sand allows you to remove all growths. Dinos invasions are caused by the rules reefing peers tell each other to follow, such as leave them in the tank and do no water changes

Do opposite of what the invaded masses do to be Dino free

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one I did not try, will definitely add it to the list in case I encounter them again. Thank you!

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you give Plus-NP a try? It's helped me deal with dinos on two separate occasions, with positive results in a matter of days.
That's one I did not try, will definitely add it to the list in case I encounter them again. Thank you!

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention that as soon my tank was cycled, I started adding copepods monthly. I am certain that had a HUGE impact on the success of my tank so far.
Where do you get your pods? I've heard of some having success fighting Dinos by adding AlgaeBarn pods

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your pods? I've heard of some having success fighting Dinos by adding AlgaeBarn pods
Yes, Algae Barn has excellent pods to choose from. I get the galaxy pods because it is a mix of 3 different types of pods. I go a little over the recommended amount, so in the beginning I added 3 jars a month, and just this month I switched over to every other month, because I feel like my pod population is great now.

Jcantrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled dinos for almost a year. I finally did a three day blackout which annihilated them. I've been pretty well dino free for a year.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 25 years without a reef I got back in 18mo ago using the new "sterile" methods of today. I used AragAlive sand,(not alive), and CaribSea LifeRock,(also not alive). Dealt with dinos for months despite adding pods early on. The only thing I feel I did wrong, other than not using any "real" live substrate, was letting my nutrients zero out for several weeks.

WillpoleReefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a dino disaster here trying to start up my system. I have a large 1m approx square sump and while I was building the rest of the system thought I would start the front compartment as a tank. It keeps the two fish fine but I have had uncontrollable dinos and hair algae. Tried most things as the OP here. LFS will only say that real live rock is not a good thing due to pests. Yet in the past my tanks were easy to set up using the old fashioned approach. Anyway for the main tank I changed approach and have travelled to get to quality real rock from one of the UKs few remaining dealers in same. To import and sell live rock requires space and capital. I suspect that often LFS advice on this issue is skewed by the fact it is not practical for them to deal in real rock. My view based on one attempt at a sterile start is that it sucks as a method,

Steve

OP
OP
Auburn866

Auburn866

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just battled Dino’s for 7 months. I know how frustrating they are. I didn’t even want to look at the tank. I did everything imaginable to rid the tank of them. I also started with dry rock and dry sand.

If I were you I would definitely use live rock, that’s what I would do if I started over. The dead rock allowed me to create a nice aquascape which was great, but it doesn’t matter how good your rock looks once Dino’s come!! Whatever you do I would run the tank with no lights for AWHILE! Maybe 4-6 months with just fish. Let your microbiome establish. I had this plan also then 7 weeks in I bought some frags and turned the lights on. I couldn’t control myself!
the waiting is the hard part right?! Would you also black out the tank or just not run the lights? It won't be in direct sun but I didn't know if ambient light mattered.

SaltySteven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through my fight I had to drive pho and not as hard and as high as I could to fuel other organisms to be able to out compete the Dinos in order to combat them. My battle lasted many many months and almost killed my tank.

davidwillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had dinos until about 1.5 years ago. I have done everything that people say cause them (steril tank, undetectable nitrate and phosphate, etc), and never got them. However 1.5 years ago I did get them, and I have gone through every type, and am now back to the first type I started with. The funny thing is that I had been reading about how bad dinos are, so I was doing everything not to get them (nitrates and phosephates in the perfect level, adding bacteria phyto, pods, etc).

I have come to the conclusion that nobody has a clue on what caused them or how to deal with them. Yes some things may help (if you luck out), and may work for some, but it is mostly just a crap shot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back