- Joined
- Jul 28, 2017
- Messages
- 353
- Reaction score
- 105
- What state or country do you live in
- Nevada
Zero nitrates and possible dino outbreak at 4 months
Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble with what I believe might be dinos or diatoms, and I'm looking for some advice.
My tank is about 4 months old. I started with approximately 85% dry rock, the rest live rock, and 40 lbs of live sand.
Initially, I was dealing with hair algae, but I didn't do much other than manually remove it during water changes.
Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed my nitrates have been consistently reading 0.00 ppm, while phosphates have been fluctuating between 0.03–0.09 ppm.
This past week, I've noticed my corals starting to close up more than usual. I've also noticed microbubbles throughout the tank, along with what looks like a possible dino outbreak.
I've tried dosing NeoNitro to raise my nitrates, but they continue to read 0.00 ppm. I also decided to skip a water change in hopes of allowing nutrients to build up, but my nitrates are still reading zero.
Now it looks like the dinos are starting to take over.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Nitrates: 0.00
Phos:003
For filtration im running protein skimmer 24/7 and roller filter
I feed 3 times a day sometimes 4.

Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble with what I believe might be dinos or diatoms, and I'm looking for some advice.
My tank is about 4 months old. I started with approximately 85% dry rock, the rest live rock, and 40 lbs of live sand.
Initially, I was dealing with hair algae, but I didn't do much other than manually remove it during water changes.
Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed my nitrates have been consistently reading 0.00 ppm, while phosphates have been fluctuating between 0.03–0.09 ppm.
This past week, I've noticed my corals starting to close up more than usual. I've also noticed microbubbles throughout the tank, along with what looks like a possible dino outbreak.
I've tried dosing NeoNitro to raise my nitrates, but they continue to read 0.00 ppm. I also decided to skip a water change in hopes of allowing nutrients to build up, but my nitrates are still reading zero.
Now it looks like the dinos are starting to take over.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Nitrates: 0.00
Phos:003
For filtration im running protein skimmer 24/7 and roller filter
I feed 3 times a day sometimes 4.
