UV recommendations

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Dino will be killed by UV. By the Jebao 55 watt and temp plumb in directly to display. Blow off rocks twice a day. All done.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jebao 75w @ 250gph on my 220g and a jebao 23w @150gph on one of my 75g. I use it for help in prevention of ich and velvet stuff like that. The 75w is a beast has a 30" bulb channel. Nice and long for lots of exposure time

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, need a recommendation for a good UV unit and pump (if needed) for my 75g tank to deal with ostreopsis and prorocentrum dinos.

Budget is important but secondary to effectiveness. I had a 24w Green Killing Machine that helped but I think I need something stronger.

Thanks!
Hi! I am attaching a snippet from the PDF I got from Mack's Dinoflagellates FB group, from the part where they advise about the use of UV. Sorry, the PDF is protected against copy-pasting, therefore I had to take a screenshot. Note that based on this, 24W should be sufficient for your 55g tank, but they recommend against the Green Killing Machine specifically. Get a Jebao, they are cheap. I'd get a 36W to have a good safety margin. Also note the recommended flow rates. Also note, they stress that UV does not work against prorocentrum.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 09.53.48.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 09.53.48.png
    554 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am attaching a snippet from the PDF I got from Mack's Dinoflagellates FB group, from the part where they advise about the use of UV. Sorry, the PDF is protected against copy-pasting, therefore I had to take a screenshot. Note that based on this, 24W should be sufficient for your 55g tank, but they recommend against the Green Killing Machine specifically. Get a Jebao, they are cheap. I'd get a 36W to have a good safety margin. Also note the recommended flow rates. Also note, they stress that UV does not work against prorocentrum.
Thank you! This is really good info! I have the 55w jebao on the way already :D

I do wonder about their statement regarding proro, as I have taken samples at night and during the day and visually confirmed that some proro leaves the sand at night. I run a moonlight schedule at night so would hypothesize that a larger proportion of the proro would release if I were to stop that and possibly do a blackout.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back