Dose Silicates again for dinos after beating Chrysophytes?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 5 months old now, and after 1.5 months, I started battling Cyano, Ostreopsis, and Chrysophytes all at the same time.

I have Ostreopsis dinos and once I had it supressed a bit from running UV 24/7 and dosing silicates, it completely made the chrysophytes that plagued my rockwork to get really thick and bad. The dinos were still somewhat present, but barely visible and only on the sand a bit, were pretty much gone from the rockwork. I reverted back to 12 hour night UV with my fuge schedule because it was killing (not allowing to reproduce) my pod population.

I turned to Brightwell Razor after hearing lots of anectodal examples and it obliterated my chrysophyte issue. Soon after, my Ostreopsis started coming back and on went the UV to 24/7, although not as effective as when it was with silicate dosing.

So my question is, should I start dosing silicates again? Do I live with chyrsophytes instead? What do the experienced reccommend?

Thanks!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 5 months old now, and after 1.5 months, I started battling Cyano, Ostreopsis, and Chrysophytes all at the same time.

I have Ostreopsis dinos and once I had it supressed a bit from running UV 24/7 and dosing silicates, it completely made the chrysophytes that plagued my rockwork to get really thick and bad. The dinos were still somewhat present, but barely visible and only on the sand a bit, were pretty much gone from the rockwork. I reverted back to 12 hour night UV with my fuge schedule because it was killing (not allowing to reproduce) my pod population.

I turned to Brightwell Razor after hearing lots of anectodal examples and it obliterated my chrysophyte issue. Soon after, my Ostreopsis started coming back and on went the UV to 24/7, although not as effective as when it was with silicate dosing.

So my question is, should I start dosing silicates again? Do I live with chyrsophytes instead? What do the experienced reccommend?

Thanks!
Can you restart the aquarium?

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the UV and its flow rate appropriately sized for 150g? UV should be a cure for ostreopsis with no other treatments needed, unless the UV isn't set up or sized correctly.

I would only dose silicates if you have large cell amph or if porocentrum isn't responding to other methods.

At 5 months your tank is likely not even mid-ugly phase yet, I would try to focus on keeping nutrients low and stable (but not 0) and manual removal of algae as needed.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the UV and its flow rate appropriately sized for 150g? UV should be a cure for ostreopsis with no other treatments needed, unless the UV isn't set up or sized correctly.

I would only dose silicates if you have large cell amph or if porocentrum isn't responding to other methods.

At 5 months your tank is likely not even mid-ugly phase yet, I would try to focus on keeping nutrients low and stable (but not 0) and manual removal of algae as needed.
I’m not worried about GHA, my range make quick work of it. I have 2 UVs setup.. a 25W aqua UV at 400gph and an AIO aqua top 13w I’m running at 13w that I added just to help with the Dinos. I just recently started running 24/7 again.

Will lights out for 3 days help with getting them in the water column?

Reefing Qs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the UV, you'll want 1 watt per 3 gallons (or more) with a flow rate of 90-200gph to treat Osteo - so you're a bit low on wattage at 38w total currently and way over on the flow rate. The flow rate to treat Dinos WAY below the "normal/suggested" rate so you may need to specifically purchase a very underpowered pump for the UVs. Do you have both UVs plumbed directly in to the display?

I'm pretty confident making some changes to your UV setup with no other changes/additives to the tank you'll be able to fix the Osteo problem completely.

No. Blackouts do nothing to treat Dinos other than make them burrow/hibernate and then come back shortly after the blackout, usually with a vengeance.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the UV, you'll want 1 watt per 3 gallons (or more) with a flow rate of 90-200gph to treat Osteo - so you're a bit low on wattage at 38w total currently and way over on the flow rate.
won’t a flow rate lower than minimum spec burn the bulb though? I believe every manufacturer has different minimum flow rates for cooling because of different dimension tubing.

I’m at 150g.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
i have your exact problem. what did you do?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back