LCA Dinos?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types would be best for this application?
Lots of proper live rock would be best to innoculate, but failing that any of the commercially available pods could help. Over here in the UK, proper live rock is like rocking horse poo.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On the sand, disappears at night, not responsive to chemiclean. It’s dinos. Had them in three different setups. All behaved the same, all confirmed under scope.

Previous tank I had with them looked just like this. No snot, minimal bubbles, just red interspersed among the sand grains.

Can be very hard to beat if you started with dry rock and sand. Often the best choice is go bare bottom until your rock builds up a microfauna more representative of the ocean and then slowly add sand back. Although I did go bare bottom 4 months and when I upgraded and moved the rock over they came right back to the sand, but rock age was less than 1 year. The other option is silica, high nutrients, time, and maybe carbon dosing at night.

Below is my previous setup when they came back after bare bottom then upgrading. Looks identical just under white lights. The blue lights bring out the red fluorescence more.

IMG_2622.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back