Flow for uv sterilizer

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m new to uv sterilizers wanted to know what flow should I adjust my 57 watt aqua illumination to kill bacteria and algae later on I’ll be buying a dc pump to adjust the needs of the tank just need more Info and also I’ve been threads on how and where to place an uv sterilizer any tips on that too pls thank you

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All manufactured uv's have different flow needs but For aqua ultraviolet 57w classic (is this the one you have?) the numbers posted on brs states
Saltwater Reef Applications: 2133 GPH - 3200 GPH

Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1066 (min), 3200 GPH (max)

For protozoans I would run close to the minimum to make sure they get a good amount of exposure to the uv light.

Always a good idea to consult the manual you received too it should lay out the flow requirements.

As for placement, I've seen the big ones strapped vertically to the sides of tank stands, if you have a big filtration room you can set it up on a fancy manifold, or you can do what I do and lay it horizontal in front of my sump, throw a pump in to the skimmer chamber and have the water exit the uv into the return pump chamber lol

OP
OP
K

ke1023610

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All manufactured uv's have different flow needs but For aqua ultraviolet 57w classic (is this the one you have?) the numbers posted on brs states
Saltwater Reef Applications: 2133 GPH - 3200 GPH

Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate: 1066 (min), 3200 GPH (max)

For protozoans I would run close to the minimum to make sure they get a good amount of exposure to the uv light.

Always a good idea to consult the manual you received too it should lay out the flow requirements.

As for placement, I've seen the big ones strapped vertically to the sides of tank stands, if you have a big filtration room you can set it up on a fancy manifold, or you can do what I do and lay it horizontal in front of my sump, throw a pump in to the skimmer chamber and have the water exit the uv into the return pump chamber lol
Thank you yeah I have a big sump and have room to place a return pump on the first chamber and just run it towards the return pump

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back