Proof Asterina starfish are harmful!

In my observations , it seems they like the zooxanthelle within coral tissues. In zoanthiids for instance they stick on the side of the stalk and draw out the liquid inside.
 
I’ve lost $1000s in zoas to these evil things. I’ve manually removed 100s of them and they always come back….

Been laughed at when I make the claim so it’s good to see others backing it up finally.
 
Has anyone successfully eradicated them without a Harlequin Shrimp?
I had a melanurus wrasse, and possibly other wrasses, that would eat them. They would show up on the glass and then slowly start losing body parts until they were gone. Then after a while they would show up again and the same thing would happen.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new