How did you mount your UV sterilizer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter petcellar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have the Vecton 25W… it’s a pain to place. Here is my mess-o-sump:
IMG_5162.jpeg
 
I mounted across back of sump and plumbed. 100% wish I would have ran it outside the stand - way easier to change bulbs and would rob return GPH less. It’s a 25W. I’d suggest behind or on the side of stand.
IMG_7483.jpeg
 
I mounted across back of sump and plumbed. 100% wish I would have ran it outside the stand - way easier to change bulbs and would rob return GPH less. It’s a 25W. I’d suggest behind or on the side of stand.
IMG_7483.jpeg
Looks beautiful!
 
Another strange thing about the flow specs (this is from memory and may not be fully factual): some brands list low flow rates to kill ich and some just have one high flow rate listed to kill them all (with similar geometries). I think the aqua just had the one flow rate. But since I wanted to sterilize ich, I went with the lower flow rate listed on the other brands. Seems to be working…
 
I'm trying to plumb an Aqua 57 UV sterilizer, and I don't have a basement or dedicated fish room behind the tank. I'd rather not mount it to the side of the stand out in the open.... I think that would spoil the looks of it.

I tried to mount it underneath the tank over the sump, but it just takes up so much room in there.... will be hard to service pumps, skimmers ect in the sump.

Just looking for ideas and maybe some pictures on how y'all cram an additional piece of equipment this size into your setup.

Thanks!!
I'm trying to plumb an Aqua 57 UV sterilizer, and I don't have a basement or dedicated fish room behind the tank. I'd rather not mount it to the side of the stand out in the open.... I think that would spoil the looks of it.

I tried to mount it underneath the tank over the sump, but it just takes up so much room in there.... will be hard to service pumps, skimmers ect in the sump.

Just looking for ideas and maybe some pictures on how y'all cram an additional piece of equipment this size into your setup.

Thanks!!
I mounted my 40 watt system on the back wall of the cabinet with quick release attachments. I cut the PVC housing into 2 pieces and rejoined them with a union. The allows the inlet to drain the housing before taking the unit out of the cabinet.
The outlet is pointed up so air will purge automatically.
Stats:
180 gallon display tank, 40 gallon breeder sump, 2 return pumps with flow sensors, Reefmat 1200, Reefer DC 1200 Skimmer
 

Attachments

  • 20260503_223556.jpg
    20260503_223556.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20260503_223504.jpg
    20260503_223504.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 73
Another strange thing about the flow specs (this is from memory and may not be fully factual): some brands list low flow rates to kill ich and some just have one high flow rate listed to kill them all (with similar geometries). I think the aqua just had the one flow rate. But since I wanted to sterilize ich, I went with the lower flow rate listed on the other brands. Seems to be working…
This sterilizer has a flow chart for different target organisms.
 
3D printed brackets and plywood attached to the frame.
The bracket was a cool idea. Hanging it over electronics would make me nervous, would also be concerned about air in the tube. Ideally you want water to enter below and exit up higher to prevent air being trapped which wouldnt be good for the quartz sleeve if the bulb were on.
 
I mounted my 40 watt system on the back wall of the cabinet with quick release attachments. I cut the PVC housing into 2 pieces and rejoined them with a union. The allows the inlet to drain the housing before taking the unit out of the cabinet.
The outlet is pointed up so air will purge automatically.
Stats:
180 gallon display tank, 40 gallon breeder sump, 2 return pumps with flow sensors, Reefmat 1200, Reefer DC 1200 Skimmer


I don't think I can attach mine to the back wall of the cabinet.... it's metal supported and the back is just a thin piece of plastic to protect the wall. I think I could do something similar though just mount the brackets on the underside of the cabinet...

Interesting how you put the union on the actual housing....

Certainly seems like it would be easier to get out than my current setup with plumber strap.
 
The bracket was a cool idea. Hanging it over electronics would make me nervous, would also be concerned about air in the tube. Ideally you want water to enter below and exit up higher to prevent air being trapped which wouldnt be good for the quartz sleeve if the bulb were on.


I think horizontal is OK as long as you have enough water flow to purge out the air, right?

As discussed earlier though I guess sometimes it's hard to get sufficient water flow, in which case I would think it would be more of a problem.

IDK, I'm certainly no expert..... just looking for ideas myself.
 
The bracket was a cool idea. Hanging it over electronics would make me nervous, would also be concerned about air in the tube. Ideally you want water to enter below and exit up higher to prevent air being trapped which wouldnt be good for the quartz sleeve if the bulb were on.
Due to the lack of space, I've had it this way for years with no issues with the quartz or anything else. It is very secure, and I drain the air weekly by twisting the tube upwards.
 
I think one of the most common theme here is some sort of quick release bracket.... I think I'm going to start with that and see what I can do to try to make it a little easier to get in and out.
 
Due to the lack of space, I've had it this way for years with no issues with the quartz or anything else. It is very secure, and I drain the air weekly by twisting the tube upwards.

You must be in the running for the cleanest most organized sump ever :)

I tried to put my Aqua57 like that, but it was just a couple inches too long and I couldn't close the cabinet door properly. I will need to mount it lengthwise somehow like @Flukes or @Bartanto
 
The bracket was a cool idea. Hanging it over electronics would make me nervous, would also be concerned about air in the tube. Ideally you want water to enter below and exit up higher to prevent air being trapped which wouldnt be good for the quartz sleeve if the bulb were on.
Due to the lack of space, I've had it this way for years with no issues with the quartz or anything else. It is very secure, and I drain the air weekly by twisting the tube upwards.
There you go. Just extra manual work to remember to stay ontop of. I know if its a pain or out of the way I will be less likely to keep up on it so I plan accordingly.
 
I think one of the most common theme here is some sort of quick release bracket.... I think I'm going to start with that and see what I can do to try to make it a little easier to get in and out.
You need to make sure you have space to change the bulb and clean the sleeve or have it easy to remove for this purpose. That will be a huge help.
 
You must be in the running for the cleanest most organized sump ever :)

I tried to put my Aqua57 like that, but it was just a couple inches too long and I couldn't close the cabinet door properly. I will need to mount it lengthwise somehow like @Flukes or @Bartanto
I had the same problem, but I positioned the UV body so that the plug and cables exit the back of the frame, creating more space. 57W same UV.
 

Attachments

  • 20260503_234535.jpg
    20260503_234535.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 65
I mounted across back of sump and plumbed. 100% wish I would have ran it outside the stand - way easier to change bulbs and would rob return GPH less. It’s a 25W. I’d suggest behind or on the side of stand.
IMG_7483.jpeg
You ideally dont want to mount a UV with outlets pointing down. The body will trap air in it and water will just creep along the bottom going in and out. Either outlets pointed up, or vertical mount with water going in the bottom and out the top. Force the air out.
 
I'm trying to plumb an Aqua 57 UV sterilizer, and I don't have a basement or dedicated fish room behind the tank. I'd rather not mount it to the side of the stand out in the open.... I think that would spoil the looks of it.

I tried to mount it underneath the tank over the sump, but it just takes up so much room in there.... will be hard to service pumps, skimmers ect in the sump.

Just looking for ideas and maybe some pictures on how y'all cram an additional piece of equipment this size into your setup.

Thanks!!
I have the same UV mounted in my relative small system. I mounted mine vertically- with feed going in the bottom and outflow from the top. Saves footprint space.
 
3D printed brackets and plywood attached to the frame.
Youre likely only 1/2 filling the sterilizer body with water. once water enters, the air needs to be forced out of the unit. Plumbing it sideways like this will just allow the water to leave before the air is vacated.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new