40b DT with a 40b Sump?

Pbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a RS 130D, which I am planning to replace with a 40b build. I bought the 40b for a DT and a 20L for a sump, pretty standard build from what I can tell in my research. I then built a stand using the DIY Guy's videos as a guide, so it is way overbuilt. I wanted extra room under both under and beside the DT, so I made the stand 54" long, which got me thinking. There is plenty of room in the stand for a 40b sump.

1) Would this create any particular issues?
2) Is it overkill without any particular benefits?
3) Is it just a stupid premise?

It will be my first sump (other than the one behind the DT on the 130D, so I am rather new to this.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40g sump or sump/refugium is a perfectly fine idea. Any additional water you can sdd to a system is usually helpful.

I had a 180g tank and a 75g tank that both tied into a 180g sump/refugium/DSB.
It was 10' x 2' x 18".

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the larger tank as well. The extra space will alllow you to use multiple pieces of equipment (e.g. dual return pumps, multiple heaters) vs. a single point of failure & will allow for more rock or sand to improve the biological filtration.

There's a good reason that the general rule is to use the largest sump possible.

OP
OP
P

Pbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40g sump or sump/refugium is a perfectly fine idea. Any additional water you can sdd to a system is usually helpful.

I had a 180g tank and a 75g tank that both tied into a 180g sump/refugium/DSB.
It was 10' x 2' x 18".
I would use the larger tank as well. The extra space will alllow you to use multiple pieces of equipment (e.g. dual return pumps, multiple heaters) vs. a single point of failure & will allow for more rock or sand to improve the biological filtration.

There's a good reason that the general rule is to use the largest sump possible.

Cool, I thank you both for your input. Now I guess it is time to start a build thread. I will work on that and planning out the rest of this.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back