45 G Shallow Reef - New to Marine Aquarium

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

This is my first marine aquarium, i was able to purchase this 45 gallon shallow reef tank for a great price off a one of those websites where locals sell stuff.

The reason I got it for this price is there is a small chip In the glass seen below. It’s nowhere near the silicon and I believe it won’t be an issue.

I have been educating myself in the hobby for the last year and a half. My wife and I took my son to the local aquarium and we were mesmerized by the Beauty, i decided to do a few online searches and the next thing I know 6 months went by.

I realize you can only research for so long and I’ve reached a point where I feel I am as ready as I can be to jump in.

Every setup is different, there are so many variables it’s almost impossible to account for everything.

With that said I am starting out very simple. Just the basics. If needed I can change things up and try to roll with the punches so to say. I’m a decently patient person and I am quite aware nothing good ever happens quickly.

It took me almost a year to find this tank. I was looking for a good deal, but wasn’t going to take just anything. I stalked three different sites until I found the tank below. The quality to price trade off is well worth it in my opinion.

From what I was told the tank arrived with a small chip on the front right corner, the vendor sent them a brand new tank and didn’t want this one back. It’s never had water in it but I carefully inspected the seals before purchasing it. However I won’t truly know until it comes time for the water test.

This is my timeline:

1. This weekend I am building a stand for this Beauty, and hopefully moving it into my office. I work from home so it will be near me 10+ hours a day.

2. Next weekend I am adding the sand, dry rock, and filling it up and start that cycle going!

3. While my tank is cycling, I am going to be building my own LED lights. I have some different ideas and will be using this tank to test them out.

4. When the tank is ready I will be adding only a few fish, I am more interested in coral but realize fish are an important part of the ecosystem. Once everything is stable I will be adding coral.

5. At this time my light will be done, the code written for timers and the ability to control many parameters of the lighting.

I have way more I plan to do but didn’t want this post to get too long.

My goal is to have fish and a CUC in the tank within two months. I hope you enjoy my build, and thanks for reading.

bb6f1c7c9edc4f086d4bf4899b974c7b.jpg
30ac744627d3f7cf67de8575c1b5426a.jpg
3db15993cc719ab91797947c6da171c7.jpg
f750bd1cc2ac8554fd77a3a658441c35.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

This is my first marine aquarium, i was able to purchase this 45 gallon shallow reef tank for a great price off a one of those websites where locals sell stuff.

The reason I got it for this price is there is a small chip In the glass seen below. It’s nowhere near the silicon and I believe it won’t be an issue.

I have been educating myself in the hobby for the last year and a half. My wife and I took my son to the local aquarium and we were mesmerized by the Beauty, i decided to do a few online searches and the next thing I know 6 months went by.

I realize you can only research for so long and I’ve reached a point where I feel I am as ready as I can be to jump in.

Every setup is different, there are so many variables it’s almost impossible to account for everything.

With that said I am starting out very simple. Just the basics. If needed I can change things up and try to roll with the punches so to say. I’m a decently patient person and I am quite aware nothing good ever happens quickly.

It took me almost a year to find this tank. I was looking for a good deal, but wasn’t going to take just anything. I stalked three different sites until I found the tank below. The quality to price trade off is well worth it in my opinion.

From what I was told the tank arrived with a small chip on the front right corner, the vendor sent them a brand new tank and didn’t want this one back. It’s never had water in it but I carefully inspected the seals before purchasing it. However I won’t truly know until it comes time for the water test.

This is my timeline:

1. This weekend I am building a stand for this Beauty, and hopefully moving it into my office. I work from home so it will be near me 10+ hours a day.

2. Next weekend I am adding the sand, dry rock, and filling it up and start that cycle going!

3. While my tank is cycling, I am going to be building my own LED lights. I have some different ideas and will be using this tank to test them out.

4. When the tank is ready I will be adding only a few fish, I am more interested in coral but realize fish are an important part of the ecosystem. Once everything is stable I will be adding coral.

5. At this time my light will be done, the code written for timers and the ability to control many parameters of the lighting.

I have way more I plan to do but didn’t want this post to get too long.

My goal is to have fish and a CUC in the tank within two months. I hope you enjoy my build, and thanks for reading.

bb6f1c7c9edc4f086d4bf4899b974c7b.jpg
30ac744627d3f7cf67de8575c1b5426a.jpg
3db15993cc719ab91797947c6da171c7.jpg
f750bd1cc2ac8554fd77a3a658441c35.jpg

Here is the chip, it’s away from the seal, very difficult to see.
938ebc2c142d3edf668bb2ac4fe8e5ca.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! Love the tank! Have thought of getting something similar but I think I’m gonna hold out for that monster tank I’ve been wanting!;)

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I want a bigger tank, but my wife drew the line. We’re buying a house in 2020 and I have a 55 gallon freshwater already. I know how she works and In about a year she will sign off. (Just like she did for my 55). But I’ll wait till we buy a house to setup that tank and the shallow tank I have will become a frag tank. Thinking ahead :)

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I didn’t get as far as I hoped. I did build a stand but it was for the miter saw my wife and son got me for Father’s Day. After doing some math I am about 144” short for 2x4’s so I made a trip to hardware store. It’s now 103 degrees in the garage so I called it a day. It will have to wait until next weekend.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I want a bigger tank, but my wife drew the line. We’re buying a house in 2020 and I have a 55 gallon freshwater already. I know how she works and In about a year she will sign off. (Just like she did for my 55). But I’ll wait till we buy a house to setup that tank and the shallow tank I have will become a frag tank. Thinking ahead :)
Waiting for hubby to give in too. My birthday is coming up and he asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted another tank and he said "no." I told him that he asked what I wanted and I told him but that I also knew I wasn't likely to get one!

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for hubby to give in too. My birthday is coming up and he asked what I wanted. I told him I wanted another tank and he said "no." I told him that he asked what I wanted and I told him but that I also knew I wasn't likely to get one!

Keep working at it! Hopefully you will get it. How many do you have?

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8fd2c0b4a86bb52bc730c8fb4055e677.jpg

Today I received 45 pounds of this! Felt sorry for the person who had to deliver it. It’s a weird feeling being so happy to get rocks in the mail.

I’m glad I got it on time. I have a lot of work to do this weekend! My build is about to get busy.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely order a cheep powerhead in hopes of failure. Sounds backwards but I’m going to to be testing a circuit to monitor and predict devise failure.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress so far today. I’ve got most of my wood cut, and starting to screw and glue it together. This is my progress so far today.

The top and bottom
98f6c67160003fc2a5a8672f80d430cc.jpg

Legs I have cut
1d4d7ddfdd2183f7de38961e25a2ccbb.jpg

Still have a few pieces to cut to beef up the legs. But making good progress. I should have it built today, and the first coat of black paint.

Tomorrow I plan to add the second coat and when it’s done drying, if it looks good, get it moved into my office so I can start plumbing. Hoping to have it cycling by Tuesday.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness0347

ReeferMadness0347

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost ready to skin it! Just have one or two center braces to add and we’ll be ready!

423716e2754cf38111347402a56618a7.jpg

I feel everything is progressing nicely :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back