450g Crystal dynamics Angel dominated reef

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I used to have a great tank but after covid it’s went down hill fast. However every failure give new opportunity to re-build. After long discussion with Crystal dynamics this time I will go with glass instead of acrylic.
The new tank dimension is 96”x36”x30” starfire glass with white cabinet and canopy.
I used to love sps dominant reef but this time will be mix reef with angels fish.
Equipment
Return pump is 2x red dragon pump
Manifold is another red dragon
3/4hp trade wind chiller with ranco controller
3x600w titanium heater with ranco controller
Avast mutiny ozone with Poseidon 200
1x57w Aqua uv and 1x40w Aqua uv
2 x mp 60 2 x gyre xf 350 cloud edition
Light 2 x oxis 6 x 120 bulb combo from Orphek plus 2 x uv/violet
Salt and additive
This tank will base on Aqua forest salt and additives. I want to try something else from zeovit of the last tank.
Controller
The main tank will have the coral vue hydros and the frag tank will have the apex. I run 2 different controller to compare results
Tank
Crystal dynamics starfire extra brace and full canopy and stand combo white lacquer
96x36x30 this time I go a little taller so the fish can have place to swim.
Fish
This tank will be angels dominate mix reef so here are the list of angels already have
Emperator
Queen
Blue face
Larmark
French
Japanese swallow tail mail and female
Lemon peel
Flame
Majestic

Future addition regal Angel, gold flake , asfur
Corals
Well I guess torches, hammers, euphilla, hopefully some meat corals, acans , stag horn , some green sinuralia finger corals , mushrooms, and some varieties of hardy sps.

Tank eta delivery will be mid December. I enclose a few pictures of where the tank and equipment will be install. The garage will host 2 frags tank and a custom sump from Advanced Acrylics and all necessary equipment.
One of the frag tank probably will be sps dominated since my love for sps will never die

Stay tune for more updates. I’m excited for my new house and new tank journeys

IMG_4202.jpeg IMG_4200.jpeg IMG_4199.jpeg IMG_4201.jpeg

Last edited:

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks awesome!! No male Scribbled Angel? I am mostly SPS but had a scribbled prior to that and it was an awesome fish. Now that I can’t have it the itch has grown every year to switch like you are doing.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks awesome!! No male Scribbled Angel? I am mostly SPS but had a scribbled prior to that and it was an awesome fish. Now that I can’t have it the itch has grown every year to switch like you are doing.
Thanks for your suggestion scribble will be on the list

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthony, a tank with no acros? You’re the stag king! I’m sure it will be awesome though as your others have been.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anthony, a tank with no acros? You’re the stag king! I’m sure it will be awesome though as your others have been.
it will have stags for sure but not sps dominant. This time the angels will be the star of the tank.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s about 450 gallons… you got blue face, French, and emperor & they all belong to the same genus so they have the highest chance of fighting. Are they already in the same tank now?

You also got a queen in there so these fish, with the exception of maybe blue face, all can have pretty big personalities & can get really big especially the French. Are you sure it’s big enough to fit the more docile ones like scribble & gold flakes?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are all in my old tank now for a few years. As far as the new add on I will try to add as soon as possible so the old angels still not familiar with the new tank. My French Angel is pretty big but it’s very gentle. Only the emperor Angel is aggressive but not too bad.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all in my old tank now for a few years. As far as the new add on I will try to add as soon as possible so the old angels still not familiar with the new tank. My French Angel is pretty big but it’s very gentle. Only the emperor Angel is aggressive but not too bad.
Forgot you have majestic and also the Asfur will all be in the same genus. Although you got there existing mix in the same tank, there is also the likely chance that the new tank will change up the dynamics…, do you have a backup plan?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forgot you have majestic and also the Asfur will all be in the same genus. Although you got there existing mix in the same tank, there is also the likely chance that the new tank will change up the dynamics…, do you have a backup plan?
Well I have to take my chances with the new one. Since they all will be introduce to the new tank they will go through the process of who’s the boss and with a big tank and plenty of spaces to hide the new fishes has a pretty good chances to establish. I notice that angels has less aggression than tangs so it’s not too bad for the new one

However I do have 2 frags tank that I can house them just in case.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to take my chances with the new one. Since they all will be introduce to the new tank they will go through the process of who’s the boss and with a big tank and plenty of spaces to hide the new fishes has a pretty good chances to establish. I notice that angels has less aggression than tangs so it’s not too bad for the new one

However I do have 2 frags tank that I can house them just in case.
Just noticed that you are only 15 mins away from me. Lmk if you need some help.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well small update , my custom sump from my good friend John at Advance Acrylics has arrived.
The 2 frag tanks will get clean and hook up to the system. My wife likes Hermes so the color theme is orange . The living room side is ready for the main tank delivery in 10 days.
Running 3 separate outlet for the switchable power strips
IMG_4226.jpeg IMG_4227.jpeg IMG_4228.jpeg IMG_4230.jpeg IMG_4229.jpeg IMG_4231.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang this is going to be an epic build! I kinda doing something like this but only 200/275 gallons. i'll be skipping the corals for now tho.

I have alwyas wondered about meats and angels that would a great tank for me!
i'll have to fallow this one.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dang this is going to be an epic build! I kinda doing something like this but only 200/275 gallons. i'll be skipping the corals for now tho.

I have alwyas wondered about meats and angels that would a great tank for me!
i'll have to fallow this one.
I have try torches and hammers with angels with no problem however meaty corals are not safe.

Alphasig293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interested in this build! I have a 225 currently, wife said if we move I can go larger…and we moved this summer! So…time to start looking! LFS suggested a 310. Said 30” tall makes getting to the back difficult and when you go 36” deep vs 30” the price jump is ridiculous.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really interested in this build! I have a 225 currently, wife said if we move I can go larger…and we moved this summer! So…time to start looking! LFS suggested a 310. Said 30” tall makes getting to the back difficult and when you go 36” deep vs 30” the price jump is ridiculous.
Yeah I have a 96x36x24 acrylic and because this time the focus is more for the Angel fish therefore the tank is build for them to have more room to swim. Of course I will have some corals but nothing super fancy. I’m thinking a bunch of carpet anemone and some soft corals and some staghorn to get the mix reef feeling.

Alphasig293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a 96x36x24 acrylic and because this time the focus is more for the Angel fish therefore the tank is build for them to have more room to swim. Of course I will have some corals but nothing super fancy. I’m thinking a bunch of carpet anemone and some soft corals and some staghorn to get the mix reef feeling.
Yea…I have a bunch of tangs, so space is important

robbous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well small update , my custom sump from my good friend John at Advance Acrylics has arrived.
The 2 frag tanks will get clean and hook up to the system. My wife likes Hermes so the color theme is orange . The living room side is ready for the main tank delivery in 10 days.
Running 3 separate outlet for the switchable power strips
IMG_4226.jpeg IMG_4227.jpeg IMG_4228.jpeg IMG_4230.jpeg IMG_4229.jpeg IMG_4231.jpeg
Could you Dm me the specs of this sump, I am very interested win this exact same sump for my 500 gallon display thanks

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little update canopy with orphek axis 6 bulb combo 2 blue plus, 2 reef day plus, 2 sky blue and 1 uv/blue. Right side 36” and left side 48” total 14 bulb. Thanks Tommy from Orphek for helping me chiding the combo.

IMG_4365.jpeg IMG_4364.jpeg IMG_4363.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back