48x20 tank recommendations

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm looking at purchasing a 48x20 tank. So far I've found these 2. Not looking at peninsulas because the tank will back up against a 50" wall section and I don't want to have to deal with cleaning glass that is backing up to a wall. So far I've found these 2. Any recommendations one vs the other? Any other tank I should consider? I looked at Cade and IM but neither have tanks this size.

Red Sea Reefer 350 G2

Waterbox Marine X 110.4

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1715536102981.png

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My waterbox was great (build quality of the aquarium is nice) and bad at the same time...I didn't like all the proprietary parts and they do not like to send and replacement plumbing parts. After owning one I don't think I would ever go that brand again.

I ended up modifying the stand to support new plumbing (still had to special order parts as they don't use US sizes) as several of the gaskets that came with it started to leak after a year.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My waterbox was great (build quality of the aquarium is nice) and bad at the same time...I didn't like all the proprietary parts and they do not like to send and replacement plumbing parts. After owning one I don't think I would ever go that brand again.

I ended up modifying the stand to support new plumbing (still had to special order parts as they don't use US sizes) as several of the gaskets that came with it started to leak after a year.
Did you have the new aluminum stand? I've read that they're not that sturdy to the point where WB will send out a reinforcement kit.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The UNS stands have magnetic doors. I could probably do a 24" wide tank since the doors comes off. I have limited space in front of the tank.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have the new aluminum stand? I've read that they're not that sturdy to the point where WB will send out a reinforcement kit.

My stand itself felt sturdy and fine, no better or worse than any other stand I had...the biggest thing for me the proprietary plumbing stuff that couldn't be replaced without overhauling the entire thing. When I called them they were like "yeah we don't replace those or sell them individually, sorry hope it works out for you good luck". Like I said, plenty of other tank makers out there to choose from and I probably would never go back.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass Cages is also pretty good these days, they can do custom sizes and offer a wide range of stand options. I'm years away from needing a new tank, but they're a strong contender for me when it is time.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back