5.2 DKH/day demand. I MUST be doing something wrong!

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you seeing evidence of precipitation such as sand hardening or precipitation where the high pH additives are added?

The high pH will promote that process.
Aside from a little bit where the drips splash on sump walls above the water line there are absolutely no signs of precipitation. Not on heaters, pumps and sand is not clumping.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from a little bit where the drips splash on sump walls above the water line there are absolutely no signs of precipitation. Not on heaters, pumps and sand is not clumping.

OK, then either you have real very high demand, or are measuring the dosing solution incorrectly somehow. :)

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, then either you have real very high demand, or are measuring the dosing solution incorrectly somehow. :)
Thanks for confirming. I didn’t think it was possible but apparently it is! My reef is doing better than ever before and coral growth is fantastic so it’s hard to get too bent out of shape. I’m using multiple scales, check weights etc so I’m certain my solutions are correct.

$50-60 a month in additives but on the bright side it raises salinity 10% a month... “free” water change with dilution. I may start peddling $50 frag packs once month to help out...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for confirming. I didn’t think it was possible but apparently it is! My reef is doing better than ever before and coral growth is fantastic so it’s hard to get too bent out of shape. I’m using multiple scales, check weights etc so I’m certain my solutions are correct.

$50-60 a month in additives but on the bright side it raises salinity 10% a month... “free” water change with dilution. I may start peddling $50 frag packs once month to help out...

Perhaps it is a reflection of good control of both pH and alk. Not that many folks have gone this route to know what happens.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back