5 months old tank

amdp9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening reefers,

I wanted to share my piece of the story about reefing. Well I am pretty much trapped in reefing. Had a bio cube in the garage for years unused. One day me and wife went to fish store just to inquire about maintaining salt water fish only tank. Instead of that obsession turned into corals.

One thing that I must admit you gain a lot of knowledge as you go and learn a lot from mistakes. Seeing this little fascinating aquarium mature is beautiful. Things I love the most is target feeding corals AB+ and how then react towards it. Getting obsessed about touches and different Zoya’s and seeing their growth day by day is fascinating.

Now I have seen many posts about Red Sea coraline algae. Will that appear itself or do I need to do something special? What should I expect next thing happen in the tank?

IMG_8783.jpeg IMG_8777.jpeg

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually Coralie algae is introduced into a tank off frag plugs or something coming into your tank. Once it is there it will take off. But....... there are like Coralie algae in a bottle things some people try. I'm not sure on if they work or not seeing as you are probably going to introduce it to your tank anyway. I dont know how these people can know of it helped or not.

You can also theoretically ask a local reefer to scrape some off their tank and you can put it in yours to help get some established in your tank as well.

Beachbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a YouTube video and the guy literally made a smoothie using an old blender with a corolline frag and file the surface to grind off into power, then add tank water and reef roids (aminos and such) blend. Turn off skimmer and pumps let the wavemakers do the work when dosing the soothie. Wait 30 min to settle then fire it up. It may or may not work. I tried it, but left my skimmer running and it didn't work, but my water wasn't right at the time I think. I want to try it again though.

reefsUP2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening reefers,

I wanted to share my piece of the story about reefing. Well I am pretty much trapped in reefing. Had a bio cube in the garage for years unused. One day me and wife went to fish store just to inquire about maintaining salt water fish only tank. Instead of that obsession turned into corals.

One thing that I must admit you gain a lot of knowledge as you go and learn a lot from mistakes. Seeing this little fascinating aquarium mature is beautiful. Things I love the most is target feeding corals AB+ and how then react towards it. Getting obsessed about touches and different Zoya’s and seeing their growth day by day is fascinating.

Now I have seen many posts about Red Sea coraline algae. Will that appear itself or do I need to do something special? What should I expect next thing happen in the tank?

IMG_8783.jpeg IMG_8777.jpeg
You can use purple up to get some going but the best if a buddy scrapes some off their tank and add that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back