50 Gal. mix, started over

weakestlink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nice set up. My neighbor had Hammers that were growing too large so she gave me several pieces. I bought a few rock amenities and several frags from the local store (blue seas) if anyone is local and knows the shop. The frags did really well. I wont go into what they were exactly but they were all doing well and over grew their plugs. Then, one night, a seam gave way in my tank and I woke to almost all of the 50 gallons on the floor.
I set up a temp 30 gal. tub I bought from home depot but the shock was too much for everything except my finger leather and my engineer gobies.

I repaired my tank and set to rebuilding this environment.
I did not take pictures of this heart break but in retrospect, it would have been interesting to see the progression.
I had to replace my living room floor which had absorbed the majority of the water and not, it was not covered by home owners. Apparently water damage is excluded from most home insurance which is really puzzling to me since I can't think of anything more common then water damage, but I digress.

The rebuild ended up with major algae issues. All the living rock was covered in algae, which then was covered in red slime.
After a zillion water changes I found the issue, which was my 11 year old was giving the tank "snacks".
So, with that issue now under wraps and the tank properly balanced I want to start again.

Alk. 10.44
pH. 8.0
Phos. .05
Calcium 470
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1329
Ammo: 0
Nitrite : .1
Nitrate 49

I have more time then money so tiny frags are all I can get from stores since large pieces are way too expensive.
My kids have managed to catch a puffer and a sergeant major with a minnow net so those two transitioned to the tank.

I'm posting a few pictures of the tank now. It was "dusk" in the tank so the leather was getting ready for bed.
I only have a Hang on back filter and an octo skimmer which stopped making micro bubbles a long time ago but still it does its job nicely.. (I do wonder why I don't get the super tiny micro bubbles which required the use of the filters over the exit port to minimize the cloudy look from the tiny bubbles).. I've cleaned it several times and replaced the impeller but that had no effect.

comments are welcome, and suggestions on a direction. I would really like to get involved in the / a, local to Broward County, Florida group of hobbyists.

20220907_200405.jpg 20220907_200513.jpg 20220907_200519.jpg 20220907_200400.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back