50 gal tank, whether to remove braces/glass slabs

sibelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a tank of 50 gal. 98Lx45Wx45B in cm. I have 2 slabs of glass on each side, on the 98 cm glass. Is it okay to remove it? As I'm planning on mounting hanging kit for lighting soon.

The tank came with the glass slabs, I bought 2nd hand, years ago. Cant find original owner to ask what purpose the slabs was used for.

Ask me anything to fill in the gaps. Thankyou.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a tank of 50 gal. 98Lx45Wx45B in cm. I have 2 slabs of glass on each side, on the 98 cm glass. Is it okay to remove it? As I'm planning on mounting hanging kit for lighting soon.

The tank came with the glass slabs, I bought 2nd hand, years ago. Cant find original owner to ask what purpose the slabs was used for.

Ask me anything to fill in the gaps. Thankyou.

I would say "probably not". The glass bracing is to prevent the water weight from deforming the main panels. Glass doesn't bend very well after all.

Better to figure out a better way to mount the lights than to figure out a way to clean up 50 gallons of water a a gozillion shattered glass bits....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back