Questions on Used Red Sea Aquarium

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s no secret that RS has had its shocking number of leaky incidents. Having gone through a non-RS tank seam failure myself, I wouldn’t wish a seam burst on anyone.

Here’s the scoop. I have a free 75 gallon Red Sea tank available to me. It’s a G1 and had water in it for about 3 years. Has been dry for 4 weeks now. It doesn’t have any issues now. My wife is interested in the tank.

I’m afraid of filling it with water. I currently have a 750 XXL and trust me, any sound of running water I hear I immediately run to make sure my own tank isn’t leaking. Not a fun way to live.

My question to you refeers is whether I can do anything to prevent future seam failure if I receive the tank? I was thinking about resealing it but reading further, sounds like best bet would be to remove all silicone and add new seams. Is that correct? If so, I can assure you I’m not willing to remove the original silicone. It sounds like new silicone doesn’t bond with old silicone. Is this correct? If so then I couldn’t just plaster the seams with new silicone then could I?

The other option is to buy some glass and euro brace it. I saw a video where tidal gardens did this. Does it really add the stability needed to prevent (rather greatly reduce the possibility) a RS seam burst? Doesn’t seem too hard to add the euro bracing.

Alternatively, I could forego the tank. It’s just that free is right up my alley.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s cheaper? A new tank, or your homeowners deductible?

Seriously, though…just fill it up outside or in your garage. If it’s going to fail, it will probably fail quickly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s no secret that RS has had its shocking number of leaky incidents. Having gone through a non-RS tank seam failure myself, I wouldn’t wish a seam burst on anyone.

Here’s the scoop. I have a free 75 gallon Red Sea tank available to me. It’s a G1 and had water in it for about 3 years. Has been dry for 4 weeks now. It doesn’t have any issues now. My wife is interested in the tank.

I’m afraid of filling it with water. I currently have a 750 XXL and trust me, any sound of running water I hear I immediately run to make sure my own tank isn’t leaking. Not a fun way to live.

My question to you refeers is whether I can do anything to prevent future seam failure if I receive the tank? I was thinking about resealing it but reading further, sounds like best bet would be to remove all silicone and add new seams. Is that correct? If so, I can assure you I’m not willing to remove the original silicone. It sounds like new silicone doesn’t bond with old silicone. Is this correct? If so then I couldn’t just plaster the seams with new silicone then could I?

The other option is to buy some glass and euro brace it. I saw a video where tidal gardens did this. Does it really add the stability needed to prevent (rather greatly reduce the possibility) a RS seam burst? Doesn’t seem too hard to add the euro bracing.

Alternatively, I could forego the tank. It’s just that free is right up my alley.
Fill it outside or in garage and let it sit for a couple of weeks and see how things look.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can definitely drance the stand better, eurobrace, and put an inner breace on the bottom. However, it sounds like you are panicing already and will not have any peace of mind. Free tanks are great until they cause a lot of expenses. Personally, I would only use it in a basement or garage that has a drain.

jthunderzzz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used Red Sea tank and had the same concerns. Like everyone else said I filled it in my basement so that if it failed I would see. Checking to make sure the seals are not dried out was something else I made sure of. It is still doing great and running strong for me, I hope for the same for you.

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question. Silicone will NOT stick to old silicone. I don’t think resealing will help since the issue I believe was the cabinet not having a center brace. Have you tried contacting redsea and ask them for their recommendation?

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I’m afraid of filling it with water. I currently have a 750 XXL and trust me, any sound of running water I hear I immediately run to make sure my own tank isn’t leaking. Not a fun way to live.”

Kinda seems like you answered your question.

I was just looking around for used tanks in my area. Within a 30mi radius of my house, there’s 2x current RS available with seam failures.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To answer your question. Silicone will NOT stick to old silicone. I don’t think resealing will help since the issue I believe was the cabinet not having a center brace. Have you tried contacting redsea and ask them for their recommendation?
I have not. Let me do exactly that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back