New tank silicone question

steelers559792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find an answer by searching. Just got a new Aqueon 75 gallon and after filling up noticed what looks like dried silicone in one of the seams. The seal around the silicone looks good but wanted opinions on if this is a ticking time bomb or should be ok. Just broke down my old tank and hoping don’t have to do it all again

IMG_5567.jpeg IMG_5566.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I couldn’t find an answer by searching. Just got a new Aqueon 75 gallon and after filling up noticed what looks like dried silicone in one of the seams. The seal around the silicone looks good but wanted opinions on if this is a ticking time bomb or should be ok. Just broke down my old tank and hoping don’t have to do it all again

IMG_5567.jpeg IMG_5566.jpeg
Excess silicone noy unusual while poor finishing work and its allowed to pass manufacturers' inspections

OP
OP
S

steelers559792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon for aqueon tanks to have "spill over" of silicone on the outside of the seam. . . normal for these tanks IMo
Excess silicone noy unusual while poor finishing work and its allowed to pass manufacturers' inspections i

It looks to a piece of silicone that already dried on one of the pieces of glass before it was silicones together. The old piece is silicone on between the 2 pieces of glass. I will get a better photo when my lights turn off

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon for aqueon tanks to have "spill over" of silicone on the outside of the seam. . . normal for these tanks IMO
It looks like a dry bubble inside the seam.. the interior silicone is sealing it up from the best I can see..

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks to a piece of silicone that already dried on one of the pieces of glass before it was silicones together. The old piece is silicone on between the 2 pieces of glass. I will get a better photo when my lights turn off
I am going to need much better pictures if that is the case. . . I was just making assumptions based the usual silicone "problems" with these tanks. . .

Pictures under white light needed.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to need much better pictures if that is the case. . . I was just making assumptions based the usual silicone "problems" with these tanks. . .

Pictures under white light needed.
It’s really hard to see.. but right here looks like a void if I’m not mistaken.
IMG_2433.jpeg

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that in the actual seam (between the glass panes) or just dried silicone on the outside?
If it’s in the seam, drain it and return it.
It’s not worth the risk, water will make a huge mess and can also cause a lot of damage.
I just recently had a Aqueon 60 breeder seam failure that made a huge mess and took out my big screen in the basement.
Replacing the big screen and surround sound speakers cost about as much as a new planet aquarium 62 lagoon.
Learned my lesson the hard way.
If it was me, I would drain it and at least get a new tank from Aqueon.
it you need something to house livestock, a kiddy pool will work for temporary housing.
I used one when I moved my 210, lol!

OP
OP
S

steelers559792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo with less blue. Feeling I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend a day swapping this out

Attachments

• IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 33

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic looks like it’s between the glass panes( in the seam).
If so, better to spend a day swapping out, you don’t want a seam failure.
Wouldn’t wish it on anyone.
I can’t even begin to explain how much a PIA it was when the 60 let loose, not worth the risk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back