Mangroves in a Glass Tank

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall reading numerous concerns about mangrove roots pushing through silicone seams and causing failures in 2010ish. With more people having larger mangroves in their systems, was this a warranted concern or an extreme case? I would love to get a shallow mangrove and macro algae tank going, but curious if glass is fine or if I should go with acrylic.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall reading numerous concerns about mangrove roots pushing through silicone seams and causing failures in 2010ish. With more people having larger mangroves in their systems, was this a warranted concern or an extreme case? I would love to get a shallow mangrove and macro algae tank going, but curious if glass is fine or if I should go with acrylic.
They grow super super slow inside. Mine have only grown a 1ft to 1.5ft in a yr. That's with heavy full spectrum lights. 2 noops k3 all channels 100%

Holy handgrenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience in growing mangroves but i think the likelihood of the roots pushing through silicone is 50/50 imo. You are basically putting a tree in a pot to grow. If given time, it will become root bound and could possibly split silicone as the root ball is looking for more space to grow. We should make note that the roots of mangroves are very strong (withstanding hurricanes) but maybe not as strong growing vs anchored? I dont know, just my thought
It would be lots of fun to make a mangrove lagoon tank though. If you do make a tank like that, keep me posted

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience in growing mangroves but i think the likelihood of the roots pushing through silicone is 50/50 imo. You are basically putting a tree in a pot to grow. If given time, it will become root bound and could possibly split silicone as the root ball is looking for more space to grow. We should make note that the roots of mangroves are very strong (withstanding hurricanes) but maybe not as strong growing vs anchored? I dont know, just my thought
It would be lots of fun to make a mangrove lagoon tank though. If you do make a tank like that, keep me posted
40-50gal stock tank
20240229_181415.jpg
20240229_181418.jpg
20240229_181420.jpg
20240229_181424.jpg
20240229_181433.jpg

monocot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not mangroves, but I work on Thalassia seagrass (turtle grass), and they do push through silicone in my aquaria (photos below are a false bottom; the actual tank seams are acrylic welded). I haven't heard of this issue with mangroves and folks have kept them in glass tanks for ages without problems, but plants are pretty powerful!

IMG_9512.jpg
IMG_9511.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back