3/4 Gallon Mangrove/Reef tank

LivinLikeLarry

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
2
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my newest reef experiment! Last week I bought a mangrove sapling from my LFS which sparked the idea to make a very small pico tank housing the mangrove and maybe some macroalgae and or zoas/palys. I ran down to homegoods and found a roughly 3/4gallon cookie jar and threw in some live sand and dry rock. Im usings an old Kessil A160 tuna blue who's blue light had burnt out. I designed and 3d printed a little mount for it to allow me to command strip it to my wall. Currently I am debating different ideas for a filter or flow. As of now Im thinking of running no filter and just allowing the macroalgaes to filter the water and as far as flow goes to just use an airstone. If anyone has any ideas for the filter/flow or any tips for mangrove please drop them down below!

IMG_4676.jpg IMG_4677.jpg IMG_4678.jpg IMG_4679.jpg IMG_4680.jpg
Ignore the cardboard sheild on the kessil, im working on a permanent solution to direct the light now!
 
Just wanted to share my newest reef experiment! Last week I bought a mangrove sapling from my LFS which sparked the idea to make a very small pico tank housing the mangrove and maybe some macroalgae and or zoas/palys. I ran down to homegoods and found a roughly 3/4gallon cookie jar and threw in some live sand and dry rock. Im usings an old Kessil A160 tuna blue who's blue light had burnt out. I designed and 3d printed a little mount for it to allow me to command strip it to my wall. Currently I am debating different ideas for a filter or flow. As of now Im thinking of running no filter and just allowing the macroalgaes to filter the water and as far as flow goes to just use an airstone. If anyone has any ideas for the filter/flow or any tips for mangrove please drop them down below!

IMG_4676.jpg IMG_4677.jpg IMG_4678.jpg IMG_4679.jpg IMG_4680.jpg
Ignore the cardboard sheild on the kessil, im working on a permanent solution to direct the light now!
Neat looking tank!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new