OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sitting on this idea and finally implemented it. I've been gathering beautiful colored acans for a while now and knew I wanted to make some kind of garden or display etc, and today that idea was realized in the acan rainbow bridge.

20231203_193132.jpg

This tank is coming along very well, and I've decided to run the GSP up the back right wall and when the firework cloves get bushier, they'll go on the left instead.

And a whole tank view.

20231203_194617.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've mentioned on other threads but not this one that I have a yasha goby calling this tank home - probably indefinitely.

Originally he was a purchase for my 13.5 evo, but the poor guy got sucked into the overflow, wiggled right through the slats where I lost him for three days. Luckily the water is high enough that he was never fully out of the water, but he was stuck there against the wall between the flow and the filter floss. I found him when I went in to check if the floss needed to be cleaned.

I thought he was dead at first and he wasn't moving well after I scooped him out, but I had him eating and recuperating in an isolation box for about a week and now he's a little champ. I decided to originally temporarily house him in the pico, but... honestly he seems really happy. He's out all the time, found a perfect little den behind one of the rocks in the back, and even lets the cleaner shrimp pick over him from time to time.

20231206_155812.jpg

Look at that adorably grumpy face. I hope his fin grows back fully. It was chewed off or dropped from stress at the pet store. Making progress!

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oof.. im on the look for some captain America palys ... had some a while ago .. but got rid of them when i left the hobby.. they are my favorite palys.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oof.. im on the look for some captain America palys ... had some a while ago .. but got rid of them when i left the hobby.. they are my favorite palys.

They are a bit subtle but really nice looking. It was definitely a lucky find, especially since the plug has that other mystery zoa on it. I have no idea what that is but they're living in harmony. I'd love for them to fill in the space between everything. :)

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have bad luck with shrimp lately. I lost the skunk cleaner that had been living in my pico a couple of days after molting. I don't know if there was something wrong with the molt or if something was off in the tank, but everything else seems to be fine except my GSP, which has been closed for a week now. All of the acans, firework clove and zoas are doing well. My yasha goby is zipping around and always hungry.

I moved the GSP into a spot with more light in case it wasn't getting enough in its new location.

I've since done two more water changes, which of course is super easy on a pico, so I guess we're still trucking along. Still looks great.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly, I won one of the Reef breeders pico lights, and this thing is pretty snazzy! Definitely stronger in the PAR range than my previous light, which is to be expected. I started it off at 100% and the 2nd or 3rd day saw one of my button scolys releasing zooxanthellae, so I backed it down to about 70% brightness.

Most of the corals seem to be adapting to it fairly well. It doesn't appear as bright as the previous to my eyes because there's less white in the mixture, but that also gives the blue spectrum a little more pop. Probably the only thing that I'm a little down about is that it can't go blue only - there's no way to control the blue and white channels, however what I do get is a really nice mixture.

20240114_145949.jpg

It really looks slick though, and I no longer get the light flashing in my eyes or glaring off my phone case when I go for video and pictures.

I absolutely -love- my yasha goby, he's always out, and I can often see him peeking out from behind the acan arch, since his cave is behind it. He scurries away pretty quickly but then comes right back out. (It might actually be a female, I'm not sure if it's old enough to tell yet)

20240114_151240.jpg

I don't know if I could possibly be happier with how this pico is coming along. I discarded the old filter media the other day and replaced it with fresh, and other than making sure the ATO is full and getting good water changes in, it is kind of ridiculously easy.

I did have one small problem with the bulk of my GSP dying off, no idea what happened but I suspect it wasn't getting enough light in that back corner - a problem resolved with the new light, but luckily some pieces survived and it's regrowing.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: update - reduced light by another 10% - holding at 60% max light from the reef breeders pico.

I swear I never get tired of looking and taking pictures of this tank. I see it all day though so it makes sense.

20240116_150756.jpg

I moved my bowser zoas into this tank because they were getting too much light and not really thriving in my other tank. The original frag was just one polyp, so it's pushed out a second in the other tank but they're still pretty small. I'm hoping to see them flourish in gentler conditions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sometimes those with larger tanks forget about the little lives in them. A clean up crew can be interesting but even I really don't pay too much attention to them in my other tanks unless it seems like I need more.

That's why I was so entertained and delighted by catching the single hermit crab in my pico cleaning out a new shell I put in for him. He rolling it in the direction of the spiral of the shell and dumped out the sand inside of it before hopping back and forth a few times testing it out. I caught one on video.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: update - reduced light by another 10% - holding at 60% max light from the reef breeders pico.

I swear I never get tired of looking and taking pictures of this tank. I see it all day though so it makes sense.

20240116_150756.jpg

I moved my bowser zoas into this tank because they were getting too much light and not really thriving in my other tank. The original frag was just one polyp, so it's pushed out a second in the other tank but they're still pretty small. I'm hoping to see them flourish in gentler conditions.
Nice looking zoa!

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I last updated, but things are just doing pretty well overall. I did want to post this, as button scolys are still something of a new thing for a lot of keepers and I have three in optimal conditions in this pico.

While two of them are flourishing, one is not, and they are all under similar Par, flow, and feeding. The brown/orange one is just receding and I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up passing. It's been switched with the green one to see if it made a difference with location, but honestly even in the beginning it wasn't getting as good of an extension and it's possible it wasn't as healthy from the start? Really difficult to say, but this is the difference between two very healthy button scolys and one very unhappy and receding one.

20240418_172740.jpg
20240418_172728.jpg

Pretty sure the white in the middle might even be the skeleton showing so I don't have much hope of it recovering at this point. Maybe the sexy shrimp nibbling a few months back did it in - or at the very least didn't help it any.

OP
OP
Narideth

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since I didn't include an updated picture of the whole tank last post, here's a short video. The acans are telling me it's time for a water change, but everything is doing sooo well. I swapped the green star polyps and the red gracilaria so they each have a better spot to grow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back