Looking for Guidance on a Caribbean Reef

Slimer'sGreenBali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I'm looking to put together a reef with a Gulf of Mexico/Northern Caribbean type biotope. I've read up a bit about the sort of critters you find there but have a few lingering questions. I hope somebody who's done a similar setup could offer some guidance.

The plan is for something 'authentic', within reason. No subbing in of lookalikes from other marine environments, no mixing together animals found in vastly different areas of the same environment. I really like mangroves, and being plants I know this will limit the stocking list to shallow-water species overall. I also know stony corals from these regions are protected and not available in the aquarium trade. So the restrictions start to take shape: Shallow water species (including those that are deeper water but found in the shallows from time to time), no hard corals, things you find living in close proximity to mangroves.

Maybe the challenge isn't worth it but I thought I'd give it a try.

My first question is: Does this plan even get off the ground? Do mangroves and corals and other inverts really coexist? I found this interesting article that suggests the answer is a definite yes https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/channels/news/stressed-out-corals-thriving-thanks-mangroves-331113. But I'd love to have your input.

Second: What sort of fish do you like from this environment? I'm really partial to blennies and the red spot hawkfish. I like chalk bass as mid-levels. Anyone had a group of chalk bass, how did they work out?

Third: If mangroves are in the display does it still make sense to put chaeto in the refugium, or will they just compete for the same nitrates and phosphates?

Fourth: Macro algae? Which ones do you like?

Fifth: Other inverts? I know rock flower anemones and black spiny urchins live in the shallows in the Gulf of Mexico because I saw the former and got turned into a pin cushion by the latter when I was in Playa Del Carmen. Experiences with feather dusters, anemone shrimp, porcelain crabs?

Really appreciate any input!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a Caribbean tank once, I kept it completely Caribbean for about a year, then mixed it up. There is not a lot of selection when it comes to "Caribbean" origin livestock, most seems to come from Indonesia or Phillippines. There is more selection for larger fish, but my tank was 15 gallon, so could only keep nano fish, so the available livestock is very limited.

I did learn a lot though, because I researched everything I put into the tank to ensure it was Caribbean origin, so it was a good learning experience.

My Caribbean tank held jawfish, royal gramma and chalk bass (many baslets come from Caribbean), neon gobies, redhead gobies, some blennies (I had molly miller) Caribbean hermits, RFA's, some snails, feather duster, porcelain crabs, etc.... all from Caribbean.

It really takes a lot of research and reading, and I as very pleased with it for a year. But after a year I just wanted more variety, so had to go international.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cant speak to keeping it a strictly Caribbean biotope, but Im also just starting a shallow reef/mangrove tank. Heres a great thread with a bunch of mangrove tank examples. I suggest you read through it since there are a lot of great pictures and videos.

Also in regards to the mangroves and corals in the same environment, here's a video you may find interesting. Not the Caribbean but I think shows what you would like to do.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics sell from that region so you would know that everything is authentic. They are an excellent company with amazing customer service. I have never been disappointed in any orders from them. Check them out!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1, the mangroves are part of the estuary, supporting all kinds of life.

2. I like a juvenile blue tang, beau Gregory damsel is nice until it matures and it’s also mean. Juvenile high hat are cool schooling fish. Never tried a group of chalk but a group of fairy basslet would be cool.

3,4 skip the chaeto, blue ochtodes did fantastic and is Caribbean.

5. Coral banded shrimp (and gold), peppermint shrimp, condylactis, Ricordea, gorgonians, beaded anemone, pederson shrimp, porcelain crab, emerald, hermits (blue leg, orange claw, red leg, thin stripe), various snails, have to source availability.
Mangrove tree crabs would be cool, but I don’t know if they are sustainable.

As stated above aqua-cultured live rock would be a good source for possible stony coral. Possibly reach out to supplier with request, I have no experience with it.

Yes, your idea can come to fruition, a shallow tank with a large footprint would be best IMO. You are off to a good start. A trip to the Florida Keys and some snorkeling would be the best research.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP aquatics is my place to go for Caribbean animals. One tank is filled with Caribbean fish e.g. C.argi and different blennies and gobies. My other tank is filled with their gorgonians and sponges. Another good place is Gulf Coast Ecosystems with their site live-plants. com. They carry macros and gorgonians.

OP
OP
Slimer'sGreenBali

Slimer'sGreenBali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the responses. Unfortunately living in Canada precludes all of these great U.S. shops.

I had actually stumbled upon KP Aquatics awhile back and used the site to start generating a stocking list.

1, the mangroves are part of the estuary, supporting all kinds of life.

2. I like a juvenile blue tang, beau Gregory damsel is nice until it matures and it’s also mean. Juvenile high hat are cool schooling fish. Never tried a group of chalk but a group of fairy basslet would be cool.

3,4 skip the chaeto, blue ochtodes did fantastic and is Caribbean.

5. Coral banded shrimp (and gold), peppermint shrimp, condylactis, Ricordea, gorgonians, beaded anemone, pederson shrimp, porcelain crab, emerald, hermits (blue leg, orange claw, red leg, thin stripe), various snails, have to source availability.
Mangrove tree crabs would be cool, but I don’t know if they are sustainable.

As stated above aqua-cultured live rock would be a good source for possible stony coral. Possibly reach out to supplier with request, I have no experience with it.

Yes, your idea can come to fruition, a shallow tank with a large footprint would be best IMO. You are off to a good start. A trip to the Florida Keys and some snorkeling would be the best research.

Yeah that blue tang is beautiful, both juvenile and adult forms.

Hadn't seen ochtodes before, that's really something. Almost too nice to leave in a refugium. Of course it could always go in the display as well though.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gorgonians from there are great, and could really give a tank for this area a very nice look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back