View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish room.jpg
fish room 3.jpg
fish room 3.5.jpg
fish room.jpg

Wife and I have talked and I have gotten the green light to make my fish den a reality. Current talks are about a multi tank system tied together and plumbed to one sump. I included a couple screen shots of my current thoughts on the layout of the tanks. There is really only one constant for this whole build and that is the current tank built into the wall.

Starting with the top left tank, it is a 120 built into the wall. The second tank next to it, will be added into the wall and will be a 40 breeder style tank. The third tank 90 degrees from this is a 240 acrylic tank. In the second two pics there is a wall added behind this tank, it currently isn't there, not sure if it will be but it will hide a lot of the mechanicals if added. It could also be moved back farther instead. The tank behind the wall would be the sump combining all the systems. I have thought of removing the 40 from the system, either totally or have it running on its own.

The 120 is going to be the main reef tank. The 240 is going to be a predator style tank, thinking more along the lines of rays and or sharks. The 40 will be a small little spectacle of a species only type tank. Maybe a angler or something of that nature.

I have struggled with plumbing this system together. Somehow, someway I can't see plumbing not running on the floor, but I would like to avoid it if I can but not sure how yet. There is a floor drain about 8 feet away from the side of the sump I plan to tie into for water changes.

More pics or plans to follow, thanks for looking!
fish room.jpg
fish room 3.jpg
fish room 3.5.jpg

skihard1234Anth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you put the tanks closer and do overflow style into the next tank? One idea to avoid pumping to multiple tanks.

Also. I assume you'll have the behind the scenes multiple QT tanks, etc etc

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you put the tanks closer and do overflow style into the next tank? One idea to avoid pumping to multiple tanks.

Also. I assume you'll have the behind the scenes multiple QT tanks, etc etc

I have debated just that. The 120 into the 40 would be no issue as they are standard tanks. The 240 being acrylic has the top bracing around it.

I guess honestly nothing is set in stone yet, I can redo the in wall and move it if I want to, just hoping not to.

skihard1234Anth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without giving it deep thought, I did something similar with a separate fuge into my sump. I put three 1" bulkheads in the side with screens and like 3" long pvc with elbows to silence.

skihard1234Anth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow pipes from the upstream tank into the next tank in series. Maintains water levels in all tanks and multiple return pumps not needed

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back