OP
B

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update before the weekend.

My fifth, I say, i say again, my fifth reef dart pump failed on me a week ago. I'm totally done with them. Also because I had a slower pump running my system I am sure it caused 4 mini colonies to their demise. I fragged two of them only to so far have one of each frag survive. I had to glue some colonies back into their spots. My tangs or Mexican turbo snails love to reorganize.

Also as I found out on the same day my feed pump to my protein skimmer and carbon reactor failed so those had to be replaced too. I'm sure glad pump week is not a rest show.

I'm going to have to order the extensions for my Kessil goosenecks on the 109 gallon. I also adjusted the settings on the controller to more of a blue setting and raised the intensity from 65 to 75 percent and placed the lights on another 14 day acclimation mode. I believe that will be the highest setting I will run.

I also reorganized the wiring for the new pumps and the lighting.

Most of the new additions have settled in and showing some polyp extension (which is why i need a real camera) and some are slowly coloring back. Other than that if or when I go back to sleep and wake up I will do my weekly testing and see what did or did not go out of wack.

OP
OP
B

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yesterday I placed the coliseum into ruins and decided to aquascape the Reef Saavy tank. All I need to do now is add sand and stocking it. Here are pics of the scape. Any ideas or improvements they're always welcome.
Front:
500f8de15ec26301a6563792f56e9e0a.jpg

Side:
89cf7febd54898a000c0ff32ae91a4e0.jpg

Left Scape:
46f91d9ceb118356952a9a14091fc6cd.jpg

Right Scape:
3cd2fadc00bda3fbc69023c47e61b645.jpg

OP
OP
B

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Update Update

The Good: The kessils have been over the tank for about a little over a month. I apologize for not having any progression shots of each coral but I will begin that this month. Only downfall is I know they're acros but not which kind. Here is the tank now in its present state.

59e2203abd216c6bfbc3a42d00eca5e2.jpg

940e6d9a4fc2c8f545d14e6e3f77de57.jpg

1f07b86631708b5c3ed84892cd8ae801.jpg

4dbf705ae10cc19e4f90ae3921b04a15.jpg

FTS
c21d64b0158cba2f129020eb9b64fa6e.jpg

As you can see from the FTS that I finally got the granite installed for the bar. Now the tank feels complete.

The Bad: As you know with maricultured corals you have to take the good with the bad. Yes I lost some colonies but also was able to save a frag or two from them. Why they rtn or was totally bleached in one day I can't tell you to save my life. As you can see in the pics some have turned brown and the ones that were brown are slowly coloring back up. I know next time to remove the rock they come on, dip really heavy just to be safe and replace them on glass tiles. I don't need any extra friends in the tank.

The Ugly: I lost my achilles to ich. He came from a system that had copper and was in there for about 3 to 4 weeks. It also took out 4 of my lyretail anthias and maybe my blue hippo and Dejardini both of which I had for over 4 years. I still see them but they're not out swimming in the open like they used to.

So that's about it. Any advice or if you have any questions I'm all ears. Thank you everyone.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown is ok for acros. Especially on sand with lights up high and on acclimate probably super low par. Got to QT your stuff yourself. I'd get all the fish out and QT them. Going to have to tear reef apart but its not worth it to lose fish all the time to me personally.

OP
OP
B

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown is ok for acros. Especially on sand with lights up high and on acclimate probably super low par. Got to QT your stuff yourself. I'd get all the fish out and QT them. Going to have to tear reef apart but its not worth it to lose fish all the time to me personally.
Thanks you for the input. I will turn the lights up higher and go from there or lower them but I don't want any shadowing.

As for the tank, I don't have a QT system big enough. I'll just keep their nutrition up and see what happens. Both the hippo and Dejardini tangs are out and free from ich. Everyone else looks good too so fingers crossed.

tureefik87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank man, and I envy your DT dims, lol. So what's your opinion on the kessils? Great progress btw, and definitely following!

OP
OP
B

BrotherReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank man, and I envy your DT dims, lol. So what's your opinion on the kessils? Great progress btw, and definitely following!
I love them. So far I haven't lost any corals because of the lighting. I've only had them a little over a month so I'm still in the learning phase. I'll know more later.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They arn't free from ich. You just cant see it right now. Once a fish has ich and hits your water it never goes away. Most of the time keeping the life cycle going by infesting the gills. You will always lose fish w. the parasite in your tank. If that smaller tank is for a QT system it can't have any LR in it or sand.

Last edited:

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a scratched up 180 off craigs list and QT, heck get two of them, they are cheap usually. This tank is too epic for you to have to worry about ich for the rest of its long life. Its going to suck but pull the fish out. Use copper and let the main tank sit fallow for 72 days. Your tank is awesome BTW. When it grows in, it is going to be world class!

Last edited:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank! it really comes so close to what it looks like in the ocean. I trust brother is more than knowledgeable to decide on QT practice :)

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this tank! it really comes so close to what it looks like in the ocean. I trust brother is more than knowledgeable to decide on QT practice :)

I didn't mean it rude. He obviously knows what he is doing. Was trying to be motivational, but might have come off being short. Like I said before, the tank is awesome and is on its way to being world class

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back