50g Nuvo INT soft coral tank

James001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am setting up and picking up my last couple items, I am interested in going with minimal equipment and am not interested in filter socks or refugiums. I have in mind using either an automatic filter roller + carbon in a bag, or a protein skimmer and carbon in a bag. Pro's of a skimmer I see is perhaps lower operating costs than a filter roller, and an easier install but with a little more work weekly.

Have an opinion please share.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all depends on your tank. Are you planning on getting fish that might be susceptible to HLLE (in which case carbon may not be the best idea)? How big is the tank?

In my opinion, you'd be better off with an automatic filter roller plus a protein skimmer instead of either + carbon. The filter roller would get rid of most larger debris particles, while the skimmer would help polish the water and remove nonvisible debris such as proteins and fats in the water column.

OP
OP
J

James001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all depends on your tank. Are you planning on getting fish that might be susceptible to HLLE (in which case carbon may not be the best idea)? How big is the tank?

In my opinion, you'd be better off with an automatic filter roller plus a protein skimmer instead of either + carbon. The filter roller would get rid of most larger debris particles, while the skimmer would help polish the water and remove nonvisible debris such as proteins and fats in the water column.
Hey, the aquarium is 50g display, perhaps a bit smaller around 40-45 with the internal overflow and the sump is a 25g aquarium which will hold around 10g. But looking at around 60 gallons total water volume.

I went with the skimmer option in the end it seemed like a more traditional approach to a simple aquarium with some added benefits.
I like the idea of using some flocullants for clearer water and the occasional phosphate rx for phosphate control. I understand both work well with a skimmer for its removal from the water with use. Also if PH turns out to be problem I can run an airline outside fairly easily as the aquarium is on the outside wall of my living room.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back