IV bag to drip Brightwell PhosphateE

DW66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks has had perpetually high Phosphate. It’s currently at 0.85, and I think it’s affecting my Zoas and Euphillia.

I’ve got phosban in bags in the sump, and I added an Algae Rector to the system last week. I would like to dose Phosphate E, but I’ve read some concerning things about it and Tangs, and I don’t want to lose my Sailfin.

I know some people dose and then run 5micron filter socks, but I have a roller mat. Ditched the filter socks long ago.

My plan was to drip the recommended dose (mixed with rodi water) into my sump, right by the skimmer but I don’t have any dosing pumps. So I thought what about something like an IV bag as a dosing mechanism? I can’t seem to find empty IV bags though. Anyone know where to aquire a refillable IV bag?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i use for that purpose. I drip into overflow, caught by 5 micron sox, only in when running lc.

Denshine Disposable Enteral Nutrition Bag Feeding Bag, 1200ml Enteral Delivery Gravity/Pump Feeding Bag Set, Detachable Connector https://a.co/d/7TMTZGQ

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use drip systems sold for watering plants. I just bought the smallest version of this type of product:

As my tank was maturing I had to do a couple rounds of lanthanum to bring phosphate levels down. Now that my tank has stabilized the phosphate levels have steadily declined as nitrates have steadily climbed from zero (which meant I had to dose every week) to 8 ppm (with no dosing). You should look into what is causing phosphates to be elevated and see if you can address the root cause. For me it was over feeding + ugly stage, but I eventually got feeding dialed in, more livestock, and ugly phase eventually passed.

When I dosed lanthanum, I added it into an IV bag with RODI and slowly dripped it into a 10 micro sock over the course of 12-24+ hours. One time I dosed lanthanum into my RedSea rollermat but the roll was misaligned which was causing the mat not to properly filter things out (ie, water was running straight through the rollermat without being filtered). That time I dosed before bed and the next morning my young yellow tang was on the sand barely moving. The yellow tang was dead an hour later. This caused its best friend my one spot Foxface to go ballistic. Without its buddy to swim around with all day, the Foxface swam around crazily fast banging into everything in the tank. It eventually died two days later.

OP
OP
D

DW66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i use for that purpose. I drip into overflow, caught by 5 micron sox, only in when running lc.

Denshine Disposable Enteral Nutrition Bag Feeding Bag, 1200ml Enteral Delivery Gravity/Pump Feeding Bag Set, Detachable Connector https://a.co/d/7TMTZGQ
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have some 5 micron filter socks that I just acquired to Trey to siphon some diatoms out, they’re a good size but maybe I can cram one into my overflow.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use lanthanum below po4 0.2 ppm, use gfo.
Below this level, free unreacted lanthanum may get to the dt and livestock causing health issues.

OP
OP
D

DW66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use lanthanum below po4 0.2 ppm, use gfo.
Below this level, free unreacted lanthanum may get to the dt and livestock causing health issues.

I’m at .85, hoping to get and stay at around .03. Can’t imagine trying to get to below .02.
I use drip systems sold for watering plants. I just bought the smallest version of this type of product:

As my tank was maturing I had to do a couple rounds of lanthanum to bring phosphate levels down. Now that my tank has stabilized the phosphate levels have steadily declined as nitrates have steadily climbed from zero (which meant I had to dose every week) to 8 ppm (with no dosing). You should look into what is causing phosphates to be elevated and see if you can address the root cause. For me it was over feeding + ugly stage, but I eventually got feeding dialed in, more livestock, and ugly phase eventually passed.

When I dosed lanthanum, I added it into an IV bag with RODI and slowly dripped it into a 10 micro sock over the course of 12-24+ hours. One time I dosed lanthanum into my RedSea rollermat but the roll was misaligned which was causing the mat not to properly filter things out (ie, water was running straight through the rollermat without being filtered). That time I dosed before bed and the next morning my young yellow tang was on the sand barely moving. The yellow tang was dead an hour later. This caused its best friend my one spot Foxface to go ballistic. Without its buddy to swim around with all day, the Foxface swam around crazily fast banging into everything in the tank. It eventually died two days later.
Stories like yours are what is leading me to be so cautious.

My hi pho’s was caused by, well, me. Not quite sure how, over feeding is probably a part, but like I said it’s been a struggle for the year and a half I’ve had this tank up and running. Still trying to get it to mature. But I think I’m finally getting the hang of this hobby. Taken a while and made some mistakes along the way. Just trying to avoid another one.

I will clamp a 5m sock to the side of my sump, right in front of the skimmer intake and then dose over 10 hours. Calculator says the dose needed is 23ml. I’ll dose 1/2 that in a liter of RODI and drop it into the sump.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at .85, hoping to get and stay at around .03. Can’t imagine trying to get to below .02.

My hi pho’s was caused by, well, me. Not quite sure how, over feeding is probably a part, but like I said it’s been a struggle for the year and a half I’ve had this tank up and running. Still trying to get it to mature. But I think I’m finally getting the hang of this hobby. Taken a while and made some mistakes along the way. Just trying to avoid another one.

I will clamp a 5m sock to the side of my sump, right in front of the skimmer intake and then dose over 10 hours. Calculator says the dose needed is 23ml. I’ll dose 1/2 that in a liter of RODI and drop it into the sump.
Sound plan.
Just to clarify, do not use below 0.2 ppm.
You referenced 0.02 ppm.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0

I will clamp a 5m sock to the side of my sump, right in front of the skimmer intake and then dose over 10 hours. Calculator says the dose needed is 23ml. I’ll dose 1/2 that in a liter of RODI and drop it into the sump
If you have corals, I would lower your phosphate over a couple months. Lantheum chloride will 100% work quickly, it could shock or kill coral if you go from that extremely high phosphate to more normal levels.

Maybe lower it 0.1 per week at least?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back