50mm f/1.8 w/ extension tube? Poor man's macro?

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, does anybody have any experience with this combination? I was going to snag the 50mm to have for other shooting (mmmhhhh that 1.8 bokeh) and instead of dumping more bread on a dedicated macro lens I was curious if I would be able to get away with just using some tubes? I've used the extension tubes with my kits lens and gotten some half decent results but I wasn't sure if I am missing something obvious lol

Thoughts?

The other contender would be a Tamron 90mm dedicated macro. I know that obviously the dedicated macro will yield better results but I'm just trying to conserve where I can lol. I'm by no means a pro photographer, but do love a couple nice shots of my tank.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used extension tubes on my 50 mm since I already had a 50mm laying around. Don’t get me wrong, I still got some great results but it becomes a big hassle switching out extension tube sizes, photos never as clear. But I must say if you can choose not to go that route I would highly recommend a tamron 90mm and or any macro lens. I went a canon 100mm is which is absolutely incredible.

I also am in no way a pro photographer and I’m sure someone can give you real technical reasons as to why one is better than the other. But if you want you can check out the photos I took with my macro lens on my build thread and that’s still being a very noice photographer.

OP
OP
hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked through your thread, awesome shots! If I didn't really want the 50mm for other photography situations I would definitely re-route the money for a used dedicated macro

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both have their pros and cons.
extension tubes and reverse rings... do offer high magnification ratios even more than macro lenses are capable of yet taht comes at the price of minimal focusing distance so you have to be ver very close to your subject, anything beyond 10-15 cm of the front glass won't be in imaging distance.
also you loose autofocus when stacking tubes and use of focusing rail becomes a must...
but Again I always have fun with tubes when I have the time and do get excellent shots out of them. I mostly use them on my 17-50 2.8 zoom where the zoom helps with a bit more magnification or a better framing...

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I played around with an extension tube once and I could never get any clear photos with it, it may have been that I was using a cheap camera (Nikon D3200) but nothing would work the way I expected it to. I would just save up for a macro lens or high mm prime.

OP
OP
hockeyhead019

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been able to get focused and sharp shots with the tubes on my D3400 so I'm not worried about that. Was more curious as to the level of results I can/should expect by using this method

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I have rings that have the electrical pass through so AF works even with all three stacked together which puts me at something like 60mm of extension lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back