52 Gal / 200L Stock ideas?

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm currently cycling my 52 Gal / 200L , and was hoping to hear from you nice fish stock ideas for my reef, I only had a nano reef so the only saltwater fish I have ever had is a pair of clownfish :) I have a very open scape with loads of swimming space, bring some good fishes hehe

Thank you everyone!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I'm currently cycling my 52 Gal / 200L , and was hoping to hear from you nice fish stock ideas for my reef, I only had a nano reef so the only saltwater fish I have ever had is a pair of clownfish :) I have a very open scape with loads of swimming space, bring some good fishes hehe

Thank you everyone!

What fish do you like and what is available in your area? Do research then pick. Don't rush - some fish (clowns) can live 20-30 years, so it can be a big commitment

If your searches haven't yet turned up this article, then I find it helpful:

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you like and what is available in your area? Do research then pick. Don't rush - some fish (clowns) can live 20-30 years, so it can be a big commitment

If your searches haven't yet turned up this article, then I find it helpful:
Thanks for the article , I will for sure spend the time reading it . I already looked into some fish with a purpose but I have no idea about ornamental fish , just know a few and I’m afraid I’m missing something that I would like to have but miss it’s existence now to reading the article

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies, It is a 24x24x20 cube , and it is bare bottom , being bare bottom limits some species as wrasses :( It will be majorly filled with SPS , so only reef safe fish. Firefish goby and dragonettes (sadly they need sand) caught my eye :p I'm trying to find a big "main" fish too

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many flasher wrasses that would be fine in a bare bottom tank. I've put several wrasses through extended QT in bare bottom tanks and they've been fine and unstressed. I think you only need sand for the ones that like to hide/sleep in the sand, which is certainly not all of them. I've got a flasher wrasse in a bare bottom QT tank right now, he sleeps in a pvc elbow every night and is perfectly happy doing so.

Some people have even had success keeping sand loving wrasses and other fish in bare bottom tanks just by placing a small bowl/container of sand somewhere in the tank for them to access.

I also really like Royal Gramma's for smaller tanks too. Great fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairies and flashers don't need sand, but 2 feet isn't enough lateral room for them.

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many flasher wrasses that would be fine in a bare bottom tank. I've put several wrasses through extended QT in bare bottom tanks and they've been fine and unstressed. I think you only need sand for the ones that like to hide/sleep in the sand, which is certainly not all of them. I've got a flasher wrasse in a bare bottom QT tank right now, he sleeps in a pvc elbow every night and is perfectly happy doing so.

Some people have even had success keeping sand loving wrasses and other fish in bare bottom tanks just by placing a small bowl/container of sand somewhere in the tank for them to access.

I also really like Royal Gramma's for smaller tanks too. Great fish.
Royal Grammas caught my attention too , this is for sure one fish I will have! I saw some beautiful flash wrasses too , got to search into that !

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think , that I might have a problem joining these species?

--> Midas Blenny
--> Royal Gramma
--> Firefish Goby

I read the midas blenny might pick at SPS corals , is this true? Would love to have a wrasse too

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

--> Midas Blenny
--> Royal Gramma
--> Firefish Goby
That should be fine.
I read the midas blenny might pick at SPS corals , is this true?
The other Escenius blennies, like tailspot and bicolor and others are more famous for that. The Midas is more of a plankton eater. Could happen though, I suppose.

Would love to have a wrasse too
The best choices would be one of the possums or a pink streak, because of the 2 foot length of the tank.

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine.

The other Escenius blennies, like tailspot and bicolor and others are more famous for that. The Midas is more of a plankton eater. Could happen though, I suppose.

The best choices would be one of the possums or a pink streak, because of the 2 foot length of the tank.

Thank you,

About those wrasses, do they need sand? Which one do you suggest? Really like the six line one

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

--> Midas Blenny
--> Royal Gramma
--> Firefish Goby

I read the midas blenny might pick at SPS corals , is this true? Would love to have a wrasse too
midas blenny can nip at firefish be careful with them 2 although depends on the fish i would trust my midas blenny with firefish he is so peaceful but i have read that some peoples midas blennys are evil

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would do a mini predator tank. you could get a small dwarf lionfish, a snowflake or other eel, and maybe a toby puffer. Just my preference, if you wanted corals these won't work though. Best of luck!

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would do a mini predator tank. you could get a small dwarf lionfish, a snowflake or other eel, and maybe a toby puffer. Just my preference, if you wanted corals these won't work though. Best of luck!
a snowflake eel in a 24" cube tank? the eel can get bigger than the tank

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you,

About those wrasses, do they need sand? Which one do you suggest? Really like the six line one
Sixlines and their cousins don't need sand. Fairies, flashers, possums, and pink streak don't either. Six lines can get pretty aggressive. I would only recommend one of the possums or pink streak for your tank.

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines and their cousins don't need sand. Fairies, flashers, possums, and pink streak don't either. Six lines can get pretty aggressive. I would only recommend one of the possums or pink streak for your tank.

Do any of those you recommended like to eat pests , like the sixline?

Thanks

Back